    Thanks :)
    Sean
    , Feb 7, 2007

  2. Tim Mackey Guest

    hi sean,
    out of the box, the way .net handles this sort of thing is with a
    combination of gridview and detailsview controls. you view the records in
    the gridview and select one then, which displays whatever info you want in
    the detailsview below the gridview (or above). you can scroll to the
    details view position. but your idea with the javascript sounds nicer. i
    haven't come across a control that does this. however there is an ajax
    CollapsiblePanel control
    http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/CollapsiblePanel/CollapsiblePanel.aspx
    i guess you've already thought about this though and you want to have the
    columns as part of a single table to keep the column widths consistent. i
    doubt the collapsiblePanel will do this.

    hope somebody else can make a better suggestion
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Feb 7, 2007

    On Feb 7, 11:55 am, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > hi sean,
    > out of the box, the way .net handles this sort of thing is with a
    > combination of gridview and detailsview controls. you view the records in
    > the gridview and select one then, which displays whatever info you want in
    > the detailsview below the gridview (or above). you can scroll to the
    > details view position. but your idea with the javascript sounds nicer. i
    > haven't come across a control that does this. however there is an ajax
    > CollapsiblePanel controlhttp://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/CollapsiblePanel/CollapsiblePanel.aspx
    > i guess you've already thought about this though and you want to have the
    > columns as part of a single table to keep the column widths consistent. i
    > doubt the collapsiblePanel will do this.
    >
    > hope somebody else can make a better suggestion
    > tim
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I'm sort of new to ASP.NET 2.0 and ASP.NET in general. I have some
    > > data that I would like to display in a tabular format, but I'm going
    > > to be generating the columns dynamically, and I would like to make it
    > > so that each row can be expanded downward dynamically to show detailed
    > > information.

    > > So far, it seems like I'll have to use an asp:Table and generate the
    > > entire thing in code -- including the Javascript to hide and show the
    > > detailed information. Is this the case? Is there some way I can
    > > externalize this behavior, like in a user control or something?

    > > If I weren't using ASP.NET 2.0, I'd be using jQuery to generate all of
    > > this dynamically. Is there an easier way in ASP.NET 2.0?

    > > Thanks :)
    > > Sean

    Thanks for the info and suggestions, Tim :) I hope things are going
    well for you today.

    I like to have a lot of control over the UI of a web app. What I've
    been doing for about 4 years now is constructing interfaces that are
    tailored to the task. This usually means that I'll code from scratch
    in HTML and Javascript. Right now, the tools I prefer are jQuery and
    Ruby on Rails -- though I did have to write a jQuery add-on library
    for generating DOM nodes dynamically (http://www.pinkblack.org/itblog/?
    page_id=22).

    Anyway :) The point is that I tend to build things from scratch
    because I find that the best and most fitting UI components can be
    achieved that way. I'd love to be able to have this kind of power
    (and more) in ASP.NET, especially now that it can do some Ajax.

    Take care,
    Sean
    , Feb 7, 2007
  4. Tim Mackey Guest

    hi sean,
    i totally agree and find myself taking the same approach most of the time.
    the .net controls are good, but to really achieve what you want, i agree
    that you'll probably need to roll your own this time as well.
    good luck with it
    tim

    Tim Mackey, Feb 7, 2007

    On Feb 7, 12:29 pm, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > hi sean,
    > i totally agree and find myself taking the same approach most of the time.
    > the .net controls are good, but to really achieve what you want, i agree
    > that you'll probably need to roll your own this time as well.
    > good luck with it
    > tim
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Feb 7, 11:55 am, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > >> hi sean,
    > >> out of the box, the way .net handles this sort of thing is with a
    > >> combination of gridview and detailsview controls. you view the records
    > >> in
    > >> the gridview and select one then, which displays whatever info you want
    > >> in
    > >> the detailsview below the gridview (or above). you can scroll to the
    > >> details view position. but your idea with the javascript sounds nicer.
    > >> haven't come across a control that does this. however there is an ajax
    > >> CollapsiblePanel
    > >> controlhttp://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/CollapsiblePanel/CollapsiblePanel.aspx
    > >> i guess you've already thought about this though and you want to have the
    > >> columns as part of a single table to keep the column widths consistent.
    > >> doubt the collapsiblePanel will do this.

    > >> hope somebody else can make a better suggestion
    > >> tim

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks for the info and suggestions, Tim :) I hope things are going
    > > well for you today.

    > > I like to have a lot of control over the UI of a web app. What I've
    > > been doing for about 4 years now is constructing interfaces that are
    > > tailored to the task. This usually means that I'll code from scratch
    > > in HTML and Javascript. Right now, the tools I prefer are jQuery and
    > > Ruby on Rails -- though I did have to write a jQuery add-on library
    > > for generating DOM nodes dynamically (http://www.pinkblack.org/itblog/?
    > > page_id=22).

    > > Anyway :) The point is that I tend to build things from scratch
    > > because I find that the best and most fitting UI components can be
    > > achieved that way. I'd love to be able to have this kind of power
    > > (and more) in ASP.NET, especially now that it can do some Ajax.

    > > Take care,
    > > Sean

    Thanks :) And it's comforting to hear these words from a fellow
    developer! I don't get to talk to many other programmers very often,
    sadly. (BTW: Can you recommend any good programming trade journals?)

    Anyway, so this foray into ASP.NET was worth it: Now I have a defense
    for "How come you didn't use ASP.NET again?" Right? :)

    Take care,
    Sean!
    , Feb 7, 2007

    On Feb 7, 12:29 pm, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > hi sean,
    > i totally agree and find myself taking the same approach most of the time.
    > the .net controls are good, but to really achieve what you want, i agree
    > that you'll probably need to roll your own this time as well.
    > good luck with it
    > tim
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Feb 7, 11:55 am, "Tim Mackey" <> wrote:
    > >> hi sean,
    > >> out of the box, the way .net handles this sort of thing is with a
    > >> combination of gridview and detailsview controls. you view the records
    > >> in
    > >> the gridview and select one then, which displays whatever info you want
    > >> in
    > >> the detailsview below the gridview (or above). you can scroll to the
    > >> details view position. but your idea with the javascript sounds nicer.
    > >> haven't come across a control that does this. however there is an ajax
    > >> CollapsiblePanel
    > >> controlhttp://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/CollapsiblePanel/CollapsiblePanel.aspx
    > >> i guess you've already thought about this though and you want to have the
    > >> columns as part of a single table to keep the column widths consistent.
    > >> doubt the collapsiblePanel will do this.

    > >> hope somebody else can make a better suggestion
    > >> tim

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks for the info and suggestions, Tim :) I hope things are going
    > > well for you today.

    > > I like to have a lot of control over the UI of a web app. What I've
    > > been doing for about 4 years now is constructing interfaces that are
    > > tailored to the task. This usually means that I'll code from scratch
    > > in HTML and Javascript. Right now, the tools I prefer are jQuery and
    > > Ruby on Rails -- though I did have to write a jQuery add-on library
    > > for generating DOM nodes dynamically (http://www.pinkblack.org/itblog/?
    > > page_id=22).

    > > Anyway :) The point is that I tend to build things from scratch
    > > because I find that the best and most fitting UI components can be
    > > achieved that way. I'd love to be able to have this kind of power
    > > (and more) in ASP.NET, especially now that it can do some Ajax.

    > > Take care,
    > > Sean

    Update: I looked into some code that was written for this app in a
    place where the same type of task was accomplished, and I discovered
    that they didn't use the .NET widgets at all; they used XSL
    templates. XSL is cool but I think it's more work than my method.
    Anyway, it's interesting to see that data-bound - or other - .NET
    controls weren't used.

    Take care!
    Sean
    , Feb 8, 2007