Better Random benchmark - need help with profiling

Martin Jansson

I recently started to learn Ruby. I thought that the obviously flawed
Random
benchmark at http://shootout.alioth.debian.org would make a good first
project.

I need some help with profiling as my system is a lot different from the
shootout setup. My system is a iBook G4 with Mac OS 10.3 and Ruby 1.8. They
use Linux on AMD with Ruby 1.9.

The original implementation have two eyecatching flaws:
1) It use Floats instead of Fixnum
2) It uses a really costly way to get the first program parameter.

After I corrected these two misstakes it used 30% less time and
considerably less memory (at least half as much, hard to measure).

Then I started from scratch and wrote my own version, doing a lot of
experimentation. This is the result:

# Code start

module Kernel
$srandom = 42
def random(max)
(max * ($srandom = ($srandom * 3877 + 29573) % 139968)).quo(139968)
end
end

($*.first.to_i-1).times do
random(100)
end

printf "%.9f\n", random(100)

# Code end

The most important qualities is (in order of saved time):
* Use Fixnum for integer arithmetics. Much faster and with better
precision.
* Use ARGV.first instead of ARGV.shift to get first parameter
* Use literals instead of constants. Ruby constants is no real constants,
they are global variables with A LOT of overhead. The specification
C-program use literals. An alternative would be to use
local variables.
* Use $* instead of ARGV. Sigh. Ruby constants are really, reeeally
slooooow.
* Use times as iterator. As do the original solution.
* Use a global variable to hold the seed. As do the original solution.
I can't find a sane way to keep the seed between method calls without
consuming a lot of precious time.
* Wraped the function in module Kernel. For some odd reason this makes the
program somewhat faster. I really don't like it, but...

I've also tried a nice Simula flavoured version an, not so nice,
"oo"-version and a lot of really wacky versions.
They are a lot faster then the original code, but slower then the above
version.

Brian Schröder

=20
[...]
$srandom =3D 42
def random(max)
(max * ($srandom =3D ($srandom * 3877 + 29573) % 139968)).quo(139968= )
end
end
=20
($*.first.to_i-1).times do
random(100)
end
=20
printf "%.9f\n", random(100)
=20
# Code end
=20
=20
[...]

Risking to be burned because I'm somehow helping with the aliot things
here are my 2cents

bschroed@black:~/svn/projekte/random$ cat random.rb=20
module Kernel
$srandom =3D 42
def random(max)
(max * ($srandom =3D ($srandom * 3877 + 29573) % 139968)).quo(139968)
end
end

($*.first.to_i-1).times do
random(100)
end

printf "%.9f\n", random(100)
bschroed@black:~/svn/projekte/random$ cat random1.rb=20
class RandomNumberGenerator
def initialize(seed =3D 42)
@seed =3D seed
end
=20
def random(max)
(max * (@seed =3D (@seed * 3877 + 29573) % 139968)).quo(139968)
end
end

rng =3D RandomNumberGenerator.new

(ARGV[0].to_i-1).times do
rng.random(100)
end

puts "%.9f" % rng.random(100)
bschroed@black:~/svn/projekte/random$ cat benchmark-random.rb=20
require 'benchmark'

Benchmark.bm(30) do | b |
[["random.rb", "Original"],
["random1.rb", "Rubiesque"]].each do | file, title |
b.report(title) do
200.times do system "ruby #{file} 5000 > /dev/null" end
end
end
end
bschroed@black:~/svn/projekte/random$ ruby benchmark-random.rb=20
user system total real
Original 0.020000 0.050000 9.620000 ( 9.583356)
Rubiesque 0.010000 0.060000 9.820000 ( 9.792614)

As you see, it is quite cheap to write prettier code. And the modified
version even keeps the state in a class-variable, so you can have
multiple rng's with differen states around.

hope to help,

Brian

--=20
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/

Martin Jansson

class RandomNumberGenerator
def initialize(seed = 42)
@seed = seed
end
def random(max)
(max * (@seed = (@seed * 3877 + 29573) % 139968)).quo(139968)
end
end
rng = RandomNumberGenerator.new
(ARGV[0].to_i-1).times do
rng.random(100)
end
puts "%.9f" % rng.random(100)

bschroed@black:~/svn/projekte/random$ ruby benchmark-random.rb
user system total real
Original 0.020000 0.050000 9.620000 (
9.583356)
Rubiesque 0.010000 0.060000 9.820000 (
9.792614)
As you see, it is quite cheap to write prettier code. And the modified
version even keeps the state in a class-variable, so you can have
multiple rng's with differen states around.

Shroeder! What version of Ruby do you use?

I did something similar in one of my many versions. And it is the oo thing
to do.
(I haven't actually benchmarked puts vs printf, I will do that ;)

It's not faster on my system. That may be proof that profiling is a bad
thing and that we all should prove our code mathematically (shudder).

martinjansson$ time ruby "random_shroeder.rb" 900000
75.544410151

real 0m10.296s
user 0m9.760s
sys 0m0.060s

martinjansson$ time ruby "random.rb" 900000
75.544410151

real 0m9.984s
user 0m9.230s
sys 0m0.020s

martinjansson$ ruby "random_benchmark.rb" 200 5000
user system total real
Ugly 0.100000 0.380000 24.770000 ( 26.368260)
Rubiesque 0.130000 0.370000 25.580000 ( 27.071112)

martinjansson$ ruby "random_benchmark.rb" 10 900000
user system total real
Ugly 0.000000 0.010000 85.770000 ( 98.821162)
Rubiesque 0.000000 0.020000 99.810000 (105.068127)

Here is the benchmark code:

#random_benchmark.rb

require 'benchmark'
i = ARGV[0].to_i
j = ARGV[1].to_i

Benchmark.bm(30) do | b |
[["random.rb", "Ugly"],
["random_shroeder.rb", "Rubiesque"]].each do | file, title |
b.report(title) do
i.times do system "ruby #{file} #{j} > /dev/null" end
end
end
end

I have a lot of white noise on my system, so I haven't used Rubys
benchmark thingie much. It would be more useful to me if it could do
matched pair sampling (is that the correct English term?) and/or throw
away extreme values.

Brian Schröder

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:34:44 +0200, Brian Schr=F6der <[email protected]= m>
[snip]
=20
Shroeder! What version of Ruby do you use?
=20

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-06-23) [i486-linux]

I did something similar in one of my many versions. And it is the oo thin= g
to do.
(I haven't actually benchmarked puts vs printf, I will do that ;)
=20
It's not faster on my system. That may be proof that profiling is a bad
thing and that we all should prove our code mathematically (shudder).

If you look at the benchmark I provided, it is a bit slower on my
system too. But it is a lot prettier IMHO. I just tried rewriting the
thing in nice ruby, because thats what ruby is for. Otherwise just
write a c extension and do

require 'random.so"
or even better just use the builtin mersenne twister (Kernel#rand)

[snip]
=20
I have a lot of white noise on my system, so I haven't used Rubys
benchmark thingie much. It would be more useful to me if it could do
matched pair sampling (is that the correct English term?) and/or throw
away extreme values.
=20

If the noise is really white, you just need to sample often enough. It
will average out.

hope to help,

Brian

--=20
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/

Martin Jansson

You convinced me. I will make a nice looking version. It will still be
faster then the originally submited code. Beating PHP and TCL isn't worth
it, because it will still be much slower then Python ;-). The code should
prove where Rubys strength is.

martinjansson$ ruby "random_benchmark.rb" 10 900000
user system total real
Original 0.000000 0.020000 132.660000 (134.971980)
Rubiesque 0.000000 0.010000 96.310000 ( 97.665882)
Ugly 0.000000 0.010000 90.470000 ( 92.571550)

As for a better benchmarking tool. It might be a good next project for me.
It shouldn't be that hard to take an array with pairs of textstrings and
lambdas. Iterate over the array. time the lambdas. Iterate a couple of
more times. Sum up the used time for each lambda and make a nice
presentation.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:34:44 +0200, Brian Schröder
<[email protected]>
[snip]

[...]

Isaac Gouy

Martin said:
[...]

"Each program should use symbolic constants (or whatever is closest) to
define the A, C, and M constants in the algorithm, not literal
constants."

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=random&lang=all&sort=fullcpu#about