Big problems running on Remote server with virtual domains

moondaddy

I'm setup with a new ISP where we were given an account which we could setup
multiple domains. To do this we were given a root directory where we setup
a folder for each domain. then we mapped the folders to virtual domains.
Then I copied a VS 2003 project (an old front page website that was turned
into a VS project for this process) by using the Copy Project menu to its
new location in one of these virtual domains. When I surf to the site the
home page pops up OK, but it but the images don't show. So figure I would
open the remote project VS and take a look. When I open it with VS and look
at the home page (default.aspx) in design view I can see the images just
right (including a flash control). If I right click on the page and select
view in browser it looks ok and the flash is running ok. but when I surf to
it, the images don't show and the flash control doesn't run. I even rebuilt
the project and tried it again to no avail. When I hit F5 I get an error
saying I cant debug (since its on a commercial iis I suppose).

If the images map ok in design view (when viewing the project on the remote
server from my local dev machine), and even look ok when I run it from VS,
how can I trouble shoot this when it doesn't look OK when browsing to it?

Curt_C [MVP]

are you using full or relative pathing to the images? They may not match.
Verify what path the images are in, then do a properties on the "bad" image
holder and see if they are the same....

moondaddy

I thought about that. the path for the image is "images/nwis_formal1.jpg"
where images is a folder under the application's root folder which is a
virtual domain folder under my account's root folder. But the part that
gets me is the image element is able to see the image when running from vs,
while in the same location it can't when browsing to it.

--
(e-mail address removed)
Curt_C said:
are you using full or relative pathing to the images? They may not match.
Verify what path the images are in, then do a properties on the "bad" image
holder and see if they are the same....

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

moondaddy said:
I'm setup with a new ISP where we were given an account which we could setup
multiple domains. To do this we were given a root directory where we setup
a folder for each domain. then we mapped the folders to virtual domains.
Then I copied a VS 2003 project (an old front page website that was turned
into a VS project for this process) by using the Copy Project menu to its
new location in one of these virtual domains. When I surf to the site the
home page pops up OK, but it but the images don't show. So figure I would
open the remote project VS and take a look. When I open it with VS and look
at the home page (default.aspx) in design view I can see the images just
right (including a flash control). If I right click on the page and select
view in browser it looks ok and the flash is running ok. but when I
surf

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Moondaddy,

Thanks for posting in the community!
As for the problem that the images displayed correctly when using VS.NET in
the design view and incorrectly surfing via the remote url, does the "can't
display" means the images become a cross "X" ? If so, I think you may try
move the mouse onto the cross or right click mouse and select the "property
menu to see the certain path of the image. And compare it with the acutal
one it should be according to your app's folder structure on the remote
server. Thus, we can get whether the image is refered to the correct path.

Also, would you provide us some more detailed info of the images' path you
set in a certain page or the folder strucutres in the remote server? For
example, you can provide use a certain page onwhich images not display
correctly 's location in the folder structure and the content of the page(
image tags and their url path). Thus ,we can help analize on them to see
whether the problem is actually caused by the path.

Please check out the above suggestions. If you have anything unclear,
please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

moondaddy

We found the problem and solution. Yes the images did have the "X" on them
and yes we did check the images url and it was correct. the problem was
that the virtual domains had been set up incorrectly where the domain was
accidentally mapped to the default page instead of the root folder of the
domain. This total messed up all url references with in the site