    Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
    can someone please explain.

    Thank You.

    jova, Apr 25, 2004

  2. jova

    Adam Parkin Guest

    "jova" <> wrote in message
    news:jBSic.33509$...
    > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If

    so
    > can someone please explain.
    >
    > Thank You.

    A binary tree is a tree in which each node has at most 2 children (hence the
    term binary), usually denoted the left child and the right child, but there
    is no restrictions as to what each node contains relative to other nodes.

    A binary search tree is a binary tree that has the additional property that
    all children to the left of a parent node contain values that are less than
    the parent node, and all children to the right are greater than (where the
    equal to nodes go can very from implementation to implementation).

    So for example:
    8
    / \
    6 12
    / \ \
    3 7 15

    would be a binary search tree, as 3 is less than 6 (and thus to the left), 7
    is greater than 6 (and thus to the right), 6 is less than 8 (and thus to 8's
    left). Also note that there is nothing less than 12, but greater than 8, so
    12 has no left child.

    Hope this helps.

    Adam

    Adam Parkin, Apr 25, 2004

  3. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, jova wrote:

    > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
    > can someone please explain.

    Several someones..
    <http://google.com/search?q="Binary+Tree"+"Binary+Search+Tree"+difference>

    And BTW, if you think you are so
    important as to justify cross-posting
    to four groups, (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,
    comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java,
    comp.lang.java.programmer),
    please think again.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

    Invalid group comp.lang.java dropped
    F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 25, 2004
  4. jova wrote:
    > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
    > can someone please explain.

    First off, your question is off-topic in all of the newsgroups you
    posted to (and comp.lang.java is not a valid newsgroup.) Your question
    belongs in comp.programming (follow-ups set).

    Normally, they are interchangeable terms, but if you want to be
    pedantic, a binary search tree imposes a certain order on the nodes of
    the tree while a normal binary tree just means that each node has no
    more than two leaves.
    --
    Daniel Sjöblom
    Remove _NOSPAM to reply by mail

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=, Apr 25, 2004
  5. jova

    jova Guest

    Thanks Adam that helps a lot.

    Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
    me in a manner I can understand. I seen someone get flame for not telling
    people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
    EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
    QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP) I did a google search I see
    diagrams and didn't understand the concept. By actually speaking to someone
    semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
    specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
    there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
    newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.

    Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
    help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!

    Once again Thanks Adam I do understand it now.

    jova, Apr 25, 2004
  6. jova

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, "jova" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
    >can someone please explain.

    no, but there are many flavours of tree structured search indexes.

    Some of the more famous B-tree, B+tree, Red-Black tree (used in Java
    Collections), binary tree, ISAM. Might check out Knuth for the
    bestiary.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/knuth.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 25, 2004
  7. jova

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:55:33 GMT, "jova" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >I seen someone get flame for not telling
    >people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
    >EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
    >QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP)

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html for hints on
    crossposting.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 25, 2004
  8. jova

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:25:56 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >>Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
    >>can someone please explain.

    >no, but there are many flavours of tree structured search indexes.

    I should be more careful. It depends on who is using the term. Most
    people throw that term around very loosely to describe any sort of
    tree structure even when it is not binary!! e.g. an n-nary tree.

    If your CS prof used the terms, he is making the distiction Andrew
    mentioned.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 25, 2004
  9. jova

    Icemerth Guest

    "jova" <> wrote in message news:<pYSic.33516$>...
    > Thanks Adam that helps a lot.
    >
    > Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
    > me in a manner I can understand. I seen someone get flame for not telling
    > people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
    > EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
    > QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP) I did a google search I see
    > diagrams and didn't understand the concept. By actually speaking to someone
    > semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
    > specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
    > there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
    > newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.
    >
    > Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
    > help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!
    >
    > Once again Thanks Adam I do understand it now.
    >
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, jova wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree?

    > If so
    > > > can someone please explain.

    > > Several someones..
    > > <http://google.com/search?q="Binary+Tree"+"Binary+Search+Tree"+difference>
    > >
    > > And BTW, if you think you are so
    > > important as to justify cross-posting
    > > to four groups, (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,
    > > comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java,
    > > comp.lang.java.programmer),
    > > please think again.
    > > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>
    > >
    > > Invalid group comp.lang.java dropped
    > > F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer
    > >
    > > --
    > > Andrew Thompson
    > > http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    > > http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    > > http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology

    m m

    Icemerth, Apr 25, 2004
  10. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:55:33 GMT, jova wrote:

    > Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
    > me in a manner I can understand.

    You could have expressed that in your question.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#specific>

    >..I seen someone get flame for not telling
    > people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
    > EVERYONE KNOW.

    Try basing your actions on actual information
    in future. You do not seem terribly good at
    this 'figuring'..

    And please do not yell. I am not deaf.

    >..SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
    > QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP)

    If they had any sense they would do the
    same Google search I specified for you.

    They would probably not be chasing up lazy
    2 line questions that were cross-posted to
    four groups.

    > ..I did a google search I see
    > diagrams and didn't understand the concept.

    Where did you express that in your smart question.?
    <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before>

    You _now_ claim to have done those things
    (though not very convincingly), so let's
    add a seventh..
    7. Do not presume the audience is psychic

    >...By actually speaking to someone
    > semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
    > specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
    > there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
    > newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.

    To 'Ask a specific question and
    get a (specific) answer'?

    No. You are thinking of an _HelpLine_.
    You pay for those, it's a service.

    Newsgroups are communities of people who wish
    to discuss subjects of common interest.

    > Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
    > help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!

    (chuckles) I am glad you blamed the C++
    folks. 'We' are horrible, no? ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 26, 2004
  11. jova

    jova Guest

    > >...By actually speaking to someone
    > > semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
    > > specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put

    out
    > > there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
    > > newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.

    > To 'Ask a specific question and
    > get a (specific) answer'?
    >
    > No. You are thinking of an _HelpLine_.
    > You pay for those, it's a service.
    >
    > Newsgroups are communities of people who wish
    > to discuss subjects of common interest.

    according to http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html (which was posted
    by Roedy Green) a newsgroup is
    newsgroups
    Newsgroups are Internet forums, sort of like electronic bulletin boards,
    where you can post questions.

    jova, Apr 26, 2004
  12. jova

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:35:33 GMT, "jova" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Newsgroups are Internet forums, sort of like electronic bulletin boards,
    >where you can post questions.

    Some people are frustrated because they imagine they are obligated to
    read and answer nearly every post. It becomes infuriating when you
    can't make any sense of the question.

    You feel a sick feeling in your stomach, knowing this person is going
    to be ignored, and he may never know why.

    So you simultaneously feel pity and anger at having to deal with the
    situation.

    Sometimes the questioner is playing dumb blonde, and saying in effect,
    poor widdle me. I am so stupid. Will you do my homework for me. The
    only effort I am prepared to go to is to post the assignment. I have
    no intention of even trying to understand the answer.

    These people are infuriating. This a place to LEARN Java. If you
    don't want to do that, GO AWAY. You are despised as a species of con
    man. Their are so many more deserving people trying their best.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 26, 2004