binary write file to browser via linkbutton on GridView row (without querystring)

robert

I cannot figure out how to stream a file to the browser by the user
clicking a download link on a particular row in a gridview. I cannot
use the querystring method as I need to put the file into a session
variable when the linkbutton is pressed (otherwise I will be loading
each rows file into memory or I will have to save to file system or
database.

Basically on the rowcommand event I want to populate a session
variable with a file and send that to the browser in one response and
without disturbing the page that contains the grid.

Any ideas?

Guest

why not just use the event to open a new window with a page that does what
you want? if you do it right, that should leave your grid alone when the user
clicks on your window's CLOSE button.
Peter