    Is there a way to display this XML that will work on all browsers?

    Thanks for your help.

    , Apr 14, 2005

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 14 Apr 2005 09:28:30 -0700, wrote:

    That was DSO wasn't it. I don't even bother looking these days 8-(

    >Is there a way to display this XML that will work on all browsers?

    Google this ng on why DSO is bad

    Andy Dingley, Apr 14, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I've been working on this website that uses this to display a catalog.
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/xml/tryit.asp?filename=cd_catalog_island
    >
    > I just figured out that it is only working on IE for Windows.
    > Here are the browsers I've it not to work on:
    > Firefox for windows and mac
    > Safari for mac
    > IE for mac
    >
    > Is there a way to display this XML that will work on all browsers?

    I don't think IE/Mac has any XML support therefore if you are looking
    for a solution to display the XML in all browsers then you have to use a
    server side solution that transforms the XML to suitable HTML that is
    then sent to the browsers.
    A nice tool to transform XML (to HTML but also to other XML formats or
    to text) is XSLT.

    If you are looking for client-side solutions the client-side XSLT is
    also an option, at least for Firefox, and for IE 6/Win (or for IE 5/5.5
    Win where the MSXML version 3.0 is installed).
    And with IE5 and later on Windows, with Firefox on all platforms, and
    with Safari 1.2 and later you can use XMLHttpRequest and DOM scripting.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > I've been working on this website that uses this to display a catalog.
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/xml/tryit.asp?filename=cd_catalog_island
    >
    > I just figured out that it is only working on IE for Windows.

    Data Islands were a Microsoft marketing invention, and a pretty silly one
    at that.

    > Here are the browsers I've it not to work on:
    > Firefox for windows and mac
    > Safari for mac
    > IE for mac
    >
    > Is there a way to display this XML that will work on all browsers?

    No, forget it and use a server-side solution instead, or client-side
    XSLT if you don't mind it being restricted to IE/Moz/derivatives that
    implement XSLT.

    ///Peter
    &;top"

    Peter Flynn, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:59:17 +0100, Peter Flynn
    <> wrote:

    >Data Islands were a Microsoft marketing invention, and a pretty silly one
    >at that.

    "Data islands" could mean a couple of things. One is quite useful
    (and rather M$ specific). This example also uses the DSO data binding
    approach which is a bad idea even inside Redmond.

    Andy Dingley, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Berlin Guest

    Thanks for the Responses.
    Very helpful!