Binding Typed datasets to grid controls in designer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by bill, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. bill

    bill Guest

    I have a relatively simple website, n-tier architecture that was
    originally created in VS2003. The beauty was that when I want to put a
    grid on a page, I could drag a dataset control onto the page, assign it
    to one of my typed datasets and bind it to a 3rd-party grid, viola!
    there are the columns and blah blah blah things were good.

    Now we move to VS 2005 and there is no more Dataset control, there are
    these DataObject controls and life is very frustrating. Finding any
    sort of documentation/examples of using these DataObject controls
    beyond basic useless things like direct access to the DB with hardcoded
    connection strings and select/insert/update/delete statements is near
    impossible.
    I can't seem to connect a typed dataset to the DataObject and then use
    the DataObject like a dataset, but you can't convert a DO to a DS.

    Am I the only one who is having trouble with this? I don't see other
    people complaining. Can someone direct me to some useful information
    out there?

    bill, Sep 18, 2006

  2. You can still bind a dataset to a GridView. It is not the visual default any
    more when dragging onto a form.

    Personally, I do not like the new datasource objects. They do simplify
    things even further than DataSets, but they encapsulate too many layers in
    one object for my taste.

    As for info on the DataSource objects, look at the samples that ship with
    the SDK. You can install them locally or go to sites like www.asp.net or
    www.gotdotnet.com and look at them. Scott Guthries blog site is a good
    source for info on 2.0 DataSets and TableAdapter objects.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 18, 2006