bins and setsockopt

asit

bind returns error when a port is already in use ....some process may
be using it or the port may be just port is not used still it is
hanging around kernel...

how can i kinow the difference between these ????

Nick Keighley

bind returns error when a port is already in use ....some process may
be using it or the port may be just port is not used still it is
hanging around kernel...

how can i kinow the difference between these ????

stop posting this off-topic stuff to comp.lang.c.

plonk

Ian Collins

asit said:
bind returns error when a port is already in use ....some process may
be using it or the port may be just port is not used still it is
hanging around kernel...

how can i kinow the difference between these ????

By asking somewhere were socket programming is topical...

asit

Can anyone please give me a good link of a community in which this
question won't be off topic ????

vippstar

Can anyone please give me a good link of a community in which this
question won't be off topic ????

Please leave enough context for your articles to make sense.
Your question was about bind.
I told you bind is not standard C, but if you're looking for the POSIX
one, you should ask in comp.unix.programmer.
I even posted a follow-up there.

If you use google groups, use the following link
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.programmer/browse_thread/
thread/0020b79c71e7541b>

Else use this message ID
(e-mail address removed)>

Keith Thompson

asit said:
bind returns error when a port is already in use ....some process may
be using it or the port may be just port is not used still it is
hanging around kernel...

how can i kinow the difference between these ????

For Unix/Linux/POSIX systems, try comp.unix.programmer.

For MS Windows, try comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

Antoninus Twink

bind returns error when a port is already in use ....some process may
be using it or the port may be just port is not used still it is
hanging around kernel...

how can i kinow the difference between these ????

I don't understand the second description, but if bind() returns -1 for
failure, you can see what went wrong by examining errno. For example,
errno will be set to EADDRINUSE if the given address is already in use.

By the way, your questions are 100% topical, and you'd do well to ignore
the cantankerous few who insist otherwise.

Ask yourself the following questions:
1) Out of the people who've whined about "topicality", how many of them
have given you a useful answer to any of your questions?
2) Given 1), do you think you've got anything to gain by giving in to
their childish clamoring?

Help keep this group healthy with more good C questions!