bit setting

fd123456

Tom,

MWells is right, this is the .Net way of manipulating bits. Besides,
your question was rather ambiguous :

Did you mean "are there any functions in the framework that resemble
the "bittest", "bitset" syntax I'm used to", or "How shall I go about
writing a sub to test/set bits"?

In the first case : no, there aren't.
In the second case : you should either use the BitArray class or go
through bitwise operators and powers of two.
bitset(a,2) : a = a & (2 ^ 1) for instance. There are lots of ways to
do this.

Also remember that if it's the extra typing you're worried about, you
can write your own BitTest, etc., methods that encapsulate BitArray
functions, once and for all.

Michel

tshad

fd123456 said:
Tom,

MWells is right, this is the .Net way of manipulating bits. Besides,
your question was rather ambiguous :

Did you mean "are there any functions in the framework that resemble
the "bittest", "bitset" syntax I'm used to", or "How shall I go about
writing a sub to test/set bits"?

In the first case : no, there aren't.
In the second case : you should either use the BitArray class or go
through bitwise operators and powers of two.
bitset(a,2) : a = a & (2 ^ 1) for instance. There are lots of ways to
do this.

Also remember that if it's the extra typing you're worried about, you
can write your own BitTest, etc., methods that encapsulate BitArray
functions, once and for all.

Actually, that was what I did.

sub bitSet(byRef bitWord as Integer, bit as integer)
bitWord = bitWord or (2 ^ bit)
end sub

sub bitClr(byRef bitWord as Integer, bit as Integer)
if (bitWord and (2^bit)) then
bitWord = bitWord xor (2^bit)
end if
end sub

Function BitTest(bitWord as Integer,bit as integer) As Boolean
BitTest = bitWord and (2^bit)
end function

Thanks,

Tom