Body wrapper not stretching

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JK, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. JK

    JK Guest

    I put together a page outline here: http://www.kitchco.com/XHTML/kitchco2/.
    No content yet. I am new to xhtml. There is a link to the style sheet in the
    left column.

    Looks like it should in IE. Not right in Opera and Firefox. div wrapper does
    not stretch with the body copy. I think the problem is in the wrapper css.

    #wrapper {
    margin: 0 auto;
    background: #ffffff url(images/main.gif);
    background-repeat: repeat-y;
    width: 778px;
    padding: 0 0 200px 0 ;
    }

    The 200px in the padding line is the only way I could get the wrapper
    background to appear. Appreciate any help.

    --

    JK
    JK, Nov 11, 2005

  2. JK wrote:

    > Looks like it should in IE. Not right in Opera and Firefox. div wrapper
    > does not stretch with the body copy.

    Bug in IE.

    http://www.complexspiral.com/publications/containing-floats/

    BTW - your design (the background images) assume a certain font size on the
    part of the user. Once the font size is higher then you expect, it rather
    falls apart.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 11, 2005

  3. JK

    JK Guest

    If I get my wrapper background to stretch as the body copy gets longer, it
    should not fall apart when the text size is increased. It should expand as
    the text size is increased. Any idea how to code the #wrapper in the css to
    accomplish this?

    Thanks for the link
    JK
    --

    Jeremy Kitchen
    770-777-3243

    JK, Nov 12, 2005
  4. JK

    JK Guest

    Re: Body wrapper not stretching - solved

    Figured it out. Needed <br clear="all" /> before the closing div tag for the
    wrapper.

    --

    Jeremy Kitchen
    770-777-3243

    JK, Nov 12, 2005
  5. JK wrote:

    Please DO NOT top post.

    > Any idea how to code the #wrapper in the css to accomplish this?

    I gave you a link that explained that the problem was not the #wrapper and
    told you how to solve the problem.

    > Thanks for the link

    .... yes.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is