    processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.
    thanks,
    Craig

    C++ Shark, Apr 22, 2004

  2. C++ Shark

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (C++ Shark) writes:

    >sorry for this cross post, but i am not sure which group is most
    >relevant to my question.

    Yup, I can see you're very confused.

    >I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
    >processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.

    The whole idea behind the design of high level languages is to render the
    underlying processor as irrelevant as possible. The language extensions
    that *may* be processor specific are usually described in the compiler
    documentation, as they are compiler specific.

    So, get a good book about C (or C++, if you prefer to start with C++)
    and learn the language. After that, pick up an x86 compiler and read its
    documentation. Don't expect *everything* you read there to also apply to
    another x86 compiler, however. The smart way of programming is to rely
    as much as possible on the information from the C book and as little as
    possible on the information from the compiler documentation. This way,
    your work won't be tied up to one compiler for one processor.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Apr 22, 2004

  3. In comp.lang.c C++ Shark <> wrote:

    > I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
    > processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.

    Define "C/C++". If you mean Standard C, you want K&R2. If you mean
    Standard C++, "The C++ Programming Language" is a good one. If (as I
    suspect) you mean code that delves into the intracacies of the Intel
    x86 platform (probably involving raw assembly), you'll want some book
    that neither comp.lang.c nor comp.lang.c++ can recommend (although
    K&R2 is likely to be very useful anyway). I've removed those groups
    from the followup list. HTH.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Apr 22, 2004
  4. C++ Shark wrote:
    > Hi!,
    > sorry for this cross post, but i am not sure which group is most
    > relevant to my question.
    >
    > I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
    > processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.
    > thanks,
    > Craig

    In addition to what Dan and Christopher have said, you
    may want to get a book about your platform or operating system.
    Intel has processors in many platforms, ranging from desktop PCs
    to embedded systems. For example, I programmed a tape drive
    that used an Intel x86 processor and a medical ventilator
    that used many 8051 chips.

    Some platforms have operating systems. The operating systems
    provide some useful services, such as communicating with the
    outside world and file storage. However, there are platforms
    that don't have an operating system. I programmed some where
    the main loop just looped forever and most of the processing
    occurred in an Interrupt Service Routine.

    So you may want some additional books that discuss your
    operating system or platform.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Apr 23, 2004
  5. C++ Shark

    C++ Shark Guest

    I'd like to thank everyone for answering my question. I am currently
    looking into Ira Pohl's book, and also the gcc compiler docs. Thanks
    again.

    C++ Shark, Apr 24, 2004