book for programming

C++ Shark

Hi!,
sorry for this cross post, but i am not sure which group is most
relevant to my question.

I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.
thanks,
Craig

Dan Pop

In said:
sorry for this cross post, but i am not sure which group is most
relevant to my question.

Yup, I can see you're very confused.
I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.

The whole idea behind the design of high level languages is to render the
underlying processor as irrelevant as possible. The language extensions
that *may* be processor specific are usually described in the compiler
documentation, as they are compiler specific.

So, get a good book about C (or C++, if you prefer to start with C++)
and learn the language. After that, pick up an x86 compiler and read its
documentation. Don't expect *everything* you read there to also apply to
another x86 compiler, however. The smart way of programming is to rely
as much as possible on the information from the C book and as little as
possible on the information from the compiler documentation. This way,
your work won't be tied up to one compiler for one processor.

Dan

Christopher Benson-Manica

In comp.lang.c C++ Shark said:
I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.

Define "C/C++". If you mean Standard C, you want K&R2. If you mean
Standard C++, "The C++ Programming Language" is a good one. If (as I
suspect) you mean code that delves into the intracacies of the Intel
x86 platform (probably involving raw assembly), you'll want some book
that neither comp.lang.c nor comp.lang.c++ can recommend (although
K&R2 is likely to be very useful anyway). I've removed those groups
from the followup list. HTH.

Thomas Matthews

C++ Shark said:
Hi!,
sorry for this cross post, but i am not sure which group is most
relevant to my question.

I am looking for a good book on programming in C/C++ for the intel
processors. If you know of any such material, please post a reply.
thanks,
Craig

In addition to what Dan and Christopher have said, you
may want to get a book about your platform or operating system.
Intel has processors in many platforms, ranging from desktop PCs
to embedded systems. For example, I programmed a tape drive
that used an Intel x86 processor and a medical ventilator
that used many 8051 chips.

Some platforms have operating systems. The operating systems
provide some useful services, such as communicating with the
outside world and file storage. However, there are platforms
that don't have an operating system. I programmed some where
the main loop just looped forever and most of the processing
occurred in an Interrupt Service Routine.

So you may want some additional books that discuss your
operating system or platform.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

C++ Shark

I'd like to thank everyone for answering my question. I am currently
looking into Ira Pohl's book, and also the gcc compiler docs. Thanks
again.