Book: Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Casey Hawthorne, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. Casey Hawthorne, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Casey Hawthorne <> writes:

    > You may be interested in the following book:
    >
    > Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

    Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.

    *plonk*

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 9, 2005

  3. On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
    curious markings:
    >> You may be interested in the following book:
    >>
    >> Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

    > Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
    >
    > *plonk*

    .... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
    even write*?

    If you ask questions of idiots, you get "Joel on Software".
    Christopher Nehren, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Christopher Nehren <> wrote in

    > On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
    > curious markings:
    >>> You may be interested in the following book:
    >>>
    >>> Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs (Paperback)

    >> Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
    >>
    >> *plonk*

    > ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
    > even write*?

    Well, if you inspect the URL:

    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558607013/qid=
    >1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
    >v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
    If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
    now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
    else's affiliate link in the mean time).

    As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

    The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

    Sinan

    PS: I'll join the plonking of the OP.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Casey Hawthorne

    Guest

    A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:
    > Christopher Nehren <> wrote in

    >> ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
    >> even write*?

    > Well, if you inspect the URL:

    >>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558607013/qid=
    >>1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
    >>v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    > Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
    > If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
    > now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
    > else's affiliate link in the mean time).

    > As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.

    Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

    http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

    "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    free. Watch this space for updates."

    Axel
    , Jul 9, 2005
  6. Casey Hawthorne

    Lewis Perin Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> writes:

    > Christopher Nehren <> wrote in
    >
    > > On 2005-07-09, Sherm Pendley scribbled these
    > > curious markings:

    > >> Spam makes Baby Santa Claus cry.
    > >>
    > >> *plonk*

    > > ... wow ... plonking someone for mentioning a book *which they didn't
    > > even write*?

    > Well, if you inspect the URL:
    >
    > >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558607013/qid=
    > >1120928989/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2800207-9656843?
    > >v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    > Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
    > If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
    > now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
    > else's affiliate link in the mean time).
    >
    > As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.
    >
    > The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

    Thanks for the careful explanation. I forwarded the original post to
    with the following comment:

    The Usenet post I'm forwarding here is an attempt to misuse a public
    forum for the purpose of benefiting the poster's Amazon account.
    Please take action on this, or else you will be a passive participant
    in spamming.

    /Lew
    ---
    Lew Perin /
    Lewis Perin, Jul 9, 2005
  7. A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    > As such, Sherm is right on. This is spam.
    >
    > The OP's ISP will be hearing from me when I get a chance.

    A bit of Googling seems to show that this is just one of many
    such "helpful" posts by this OP...

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Sorry about that!

    I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!

    Or that it would soon be free on the web!

    --
    Regards,
    Casey
    Casey Hawthorne, Jul 10, 2005
  9. Casey Hawthorne <> wrote in

    > Sorry about that!
    >
    > I didn't realize there was an Amazon account ID in the URL!
    >
    > Or that it would soon be free on the web!

    Given the other examples Tad has found, I doubt anyone is willing to
    believe you. I am hoping your ISP takes this seriously as well.

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Casey

    Incidentally, your signature delimiter is incorrect: It should be two
    dashes followed by a space followed by a newline.

    Oh, before I forget again, *PLONK*.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 10, 2005
  10. On 2005-07-09, <> wrote:

    > Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:
    >
    > http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free
    >
    > "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    > distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    > of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    > free. Watch this space for updates."

    That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
    this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

    dha
    tastes filling! less great! - ignatz in #perl
    David H. Adler, Jul 11, 2005
  11. Casey Hawthorne

    Guest

    David H. Adler <> wrote:
    > On 2005-07-09, <> wrote:
    >> Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:
    >>
    >> http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free
    >>
    >> "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    >> distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    >> of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    >> free. Watch this space for updates."

    > That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
    > this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

    I intend to. Acquiring new books is not a problem... now spending time
    reading them and, more importantly, finding bookshelf space is!

    Axel
    , Jul 11, 2005
  12. OT: Higher Order Perl and Amazon (was: Re: Book: Higher-Order Perl: Transforming Programs with Programs)

    writes:

    > A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    [snip URL to Amazon.com with affiliate ID]

    >> Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
    >> If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
    >> now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
    >> else's affiliate link in the mean time).

    > Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:
    >
    > http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free
    >
    > "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    > distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    > of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    > free. Watch this space for updates."

    I think this portion of an interview with the Mark Jason Dominus (author of
    _Higher Order Perl_) is also worth mentioning for those who would still like
    to buy it:

    TPR: In the past, you have expressed strong feelings about Amazon.com. Where
    would you like people to buy your book? Do you have an affiliate link?

    MJD: I'm still upset about Amazon's ridiculous "one-click" patent, and I'm
    still boycotting them. Software patents like Amazon's threaten the
    livelihoods of all programmers, including mine, and I don't want to give my
    support to a company that means me ill. They dropped their suit against
    Barnes & Noble, but the terms of the settlement were never disclosed, so we
    don't know what happened, and Amazon could turn around at any moment and sue
    anyone for violating their patent. So the issue is unresolved.

    I'd like people to buy my book from anyone but Amazon. My web site has an
    affiliate link to either to Barnes and Noble or to Powell's Books, depending
    on who isn't out of stock at the moment. I get a small kickback from this,
    but I really don't feel strongly about it. I do feel strongly about not
    supporting Amazon. There are a lot of places to get books online; it's not
    hard to buy books from a company with less abusive business practices than
    Amazon.

    http://www.theperlreview.com/Interviews/mjd-hop-20050407.html
    Steven Vasilogianis, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Casey Hawthorne

    Anno Siegel Guest

    <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > David H. Adler <> wrote:
    > > On 2005-07-09,

    > <> wrote:
    > >> Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:
    > >>
    > >> http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free
    > >>
    > >> "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    > >> distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    > >> of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    > >> free. Watch this space for updates."

    > > That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
    > > this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

    > I intend to. Acquiring new books is not a problem... now spending time
    > reading them and, more importantly, finding bookshelf space is!

    Right! Mine is sitting in a stack on the floor, largely unread and
    waiting for a vacancy in the shelf. Along with introductions to Haskell,
    UML, Design Patterns and other stuff I'm going to read RSN.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Casey Hawthorne

    Guest

    Anno Siegel <-berlin.de> wrote:
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> David H. Adler <> wrote:
    >> > On 2005-07-09,

    >> <> wrote:

    [ re Higher Order Perl ]

    >> > That said, if you can, buy the book anyway. It's real good. If we buy
    >> > this one, maybe he'll write more! :)

    >> I intend to. Acquiring new books is not a problem... now spending time
    >> reading them and, more importantly, finding bookshelf space is!

    > Right! Mine is sitting in a stack on the floor, largely unread and
    > waiting for a vacancy in the shelf. Along with introductions to Haskell,
    > UML, Design Patterns and other stuff I'm going to read RSN.

    Wow! You also have unread books on UML - I bought one years ago and another
    when I was in Amsterdam... I have never opened the covers of either.

    They are at the bottom of my books to read... first I need to
    increase my German so I can read some 'Koelsch Krimis'. Opps, I am
    going wildly off-topic.

    Axel
    , Jul 12, 2005
  15. Casey Hawthorne

    Guest

    Re: OT: Higher Order Perl and Amazon

    Steven Vasilogianis <> wrote:
    > writes:
    >> A. Sinan Unur <> wrote:

    >>> Take a look at ref=pd_bbs_ur_1. That is someone's Amazon affiliate ID.
    >>> If you click on this link, then but something from Amazon a month from
    >>> now, that person will make money (if you haven't clicked on someone
    >>> else's affiliate link in the mean time).

    >> Indeed. May I draw attention to the _author's_ site:

    >> http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free

    >> "My contract says that after the book is published I can
    >> distribute the complete text from my web site. The content
    >> of my book will be available to everyone everywhere for
    >> free. Watch this space for updates."

    > I think this portion of an interview with the Mark Jason Dominus (author of
    > _Higher Order Perl_) is also worth mentioning for those who would still like
    > to buy it:

    > TPR: In the past, you have expressed strong feelings about Amazon.com. Where
    > would you like people to buy your book? Do you have an affiliate link?
    >
    > MJD: I'm still upset about Amazon's ridiculous "one-click" patent, and I'm
    > still boycotting them. Software patents like Amazon's threaten the
    > livelihoods of all programmers, including mine, and I don't want to give my
    > support to a company that means me ill. They dropped their suit against
    > Barnes & Noble, but the terms of the settlement were never disclosed, so we
    > don't know what happened, and Amazon could turn around at any moment and sue
    > anyone for violating their patent. So the issue is unresolved.
    >
    > I'd like people to buy my book from anyone but Amazon. My web site has an
    > affiliate link to either to Barnes and Noble or to Powell's Books, depending
    > on who isn't out of stock at the moment. I get a small kickback from this,
    > but I really don't feel strongly about it. I do feel strongly about not
    > supporting Amazon. There are a lot of places to get books online; it's not
    > hard to buy books from a company with less abusive business practices than
    > Amazon.

    Thank you. I will order it via Barnes and Noble.

    I belive in supporting authors.

    Axel
    , Jul 14, 2005