Bookmark

leo

I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an DNS
server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
Thanks.

Neal

I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an
DNS
server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
Thanks.

There's simply no good solution to your issue.

The user can add the bookmark manually to their browser using the domain
name. Best solution is to have the domain name appear in the address bar.

Adrienne

I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an
DNS server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be
able to easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary
address. Thanks.

If people want to bookmark your site, they will bookmark it. If you want,
you can include instructions on how to do it. Buttons for this _might_ do
it in _some_ browsers, if the visitor has javascript enabled.

Jukka K. Korpela

leo said:
I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
browser.

<input type="button" value="Bookmark this page!!!">
works fine.

(It doesn't bookmark the page of course. That's what working fine _is_
here. People who would click on such a button would surely not know how
to use bookmarks, so it saves some trouble. And others would know that
the page is not worth bookmarking - that's the real message of such
buttons, no matter what technique you use for them.)

rf

leo said:
I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an DNS
server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
Thanks.

Everybody seems to be missing the point here. The issue is not about
creating a bookmark, it is about creating a bookmark *that points to
somewhere else, where there is no web site yet*.

How do you think your viewer will feel when, having pressed your nice shiny
bookmark button (if you get it working), they come back an hour later and
find the bookmark is broken?

I think they will totally ignore your site :)

Rather than wasting time with bookmarks I would be out and about finding
somebody who can host your site *and* point a DNS server to it, probably
within an hour. These days DNS records propogate every 5 minutes or so, your
real site could be live far more quickly than waiting for usenet responses.