    server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
    easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
    Thanks.

    leo, Nov 4, 2004

  2. leo

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:11:27 GMT, leo <> wrote:

    > I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
    > browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an
    > DNS
    > server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
    > easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
    > Thanks.

    There's simply no good solution to your issue.

    The user can add the bookmark manually to their browser using the domain
    name. Best solution is to have the domain name appear in the address bar.

    Neal, Nov 4, 2004

  3. leo

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "leo" <>
    writing in news:z9vid.17324$:

    > I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
    > browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an
    > DNS server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be
    > able to easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary
    > address. Thanks.

    If people want to bookmark your site, they will bookmark it. If you want,
    you can include instructions on how to do it. Buttons for this _might_ do
    it in _some_ browsers, if the visitor has javascript enabled.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell

    Adrienne, Nov 4, 2004
  4. leo

    mscir Guest

    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/1305

    mscir, Nov 4, 2004
  5. "leo" <> wrote:

    > I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
    > browser.

    <input type="button" value="Bookmark this page!!!">
    works fine.

    (It doesn't bookmark the page of course. That's what working fine _is_
    here. People who would click on such a button would surely not know how
    to use bookmarks, so it saves some trouble. And others would know that
    the page is not worth bookmarking - that's the real message of such
    buttons, no matter what technique you use for them.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 5, 2004
  6. leo

    rf Guest

    leo wrote:

    > I want to put a button on a website to put a bookmark/favorite on the
    > browser. The reason is although we have a domain name, we don't have an

    DNS
    > server. We are using a temporary web space so I want people to be able to
    > easily bookmark the offical address, rather than the temporary address.
    > Thanks.

    Everybody seems to be missing the point here. The issue is not about
    creating a bookmark, it is about creating a bookmark *that points to
    somewhere else, where there is no web site yet*.

    How do you think your viewer will feel when, having pressed your nice shiny
    bookmark button (if you get it working), they come back an hour later and
    find the bookmark is broken?

    I think they will totally ignore your site :)

    Rather than wasting time with bookmarks I would be out and about finding
    somebody who can host your site *and* point a DNS server to it, probably
    within an hour. These days DNS records propogate every 5 minutes or so, your
    real site could be live far more quickly than waiting for usenet responses.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 5, 2004