Bookmarks, favorites, across browsers....

dorayme

Probably not, but is it possible to get 2 browsers to compare bookmarks and
make each set import what the other does not have. I have had a less than
ideal habit of bookmarking pages in different browsers and am putting off
manually gathering or thinking of a semi elaborate text editing algorithm to
do the job... Someone may have experience and tips on this which I would
appreciate. There may be no general advice, I use - by now old I guess - Mac
browsers, especially IE 5.1.6 and Mozilla 1.3

dorayme

Roy Schestowitz

dorayme said:
Probably not, but is it possible to get 2 browsers to compare bookmarks
and make each set import what the other does not have. I have had a less
than ideal habit of bookmarking pages in different browsers and am putting
off manually gathering or thinking of a semi elaborate text editing
algorithm to do the job... Someone may have experience and tips on this
which I would appreciate. There may be no general advice, I use - by now
old I guess - Mac browsers, especially IE 5.1.6 and Mozilla 1.3

I once put forward a similar question, posing a similar problem. I did not
find an ideal solution and I never got around to assembling one giant
bookmark, but anyway... have a look:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookmarksync/

I now put all my bookmarks on my site (password-protected) so that I can
access them from anywhere via the World Wide Web. The items are still
scattered though and it requires updating.

Roy

data64

Probably not, but is it possible to get 2 browsers to compare bookmarks
and make each set import what the other does not have. I have had a less
than ideal habit of bookmarking pages in different browsers and am
putting off manually gathering or thinking of a semi elaborate text
editing algorithm to do the job... Someone may have experience and tips
on this which I would appreciate. There may be no general advice, I use
- by now old I guess - Mac browsers, especially IE 5.1.6 and Mozilla 1.3

Nothing that would do it in an automated fashion. I guess it would be
possible to whip a perl script to do this though.

One solution might be to use something like Yahoo!Bookmarks to do the
consolidation and then download the bookmarks back again. Although they only
allow X no of bookmarks (100 or 1000 can't remember which, 1000 being more
likely). I had tried using Yahoo!Bookmarks to keep bookmark files on
different PCs in sync, but ran into this limit. This was a few years back
around moz 0.95

data64

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:30:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Bookmarks, favorites, across browsers....

Nothing that would do it in an automated fashion. I guess it would be
possible to whip a perl script to do this though.

One solution might be to use something like Yahoo!Bookmarks to do the
consolidation and then download the bookmarks back again. Although they only
allow X no of bookmarks (100 or 1000 can't remember which, 1000 being more
likely). I had tried using Yahoo!Bookmarks to keep bookmark files on
different PCs in sync, but ran into this limit. This was a few years back
around moz 0.95

data64

Yahoo bookmarks? OK I will look into this, sounds interesting, thanks.

dorayme

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:42:39 +0000

I once put forward a similar question, posing a similar problem. I did not
find an ideal solution and I never got around to assembling one giant
bookmark, but anyway... have a look:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookmarksync/

I now put all my bookmarks on my site (password-protected) so that I can
access them from anywhere via the World Wide Web. The items are still
scattered though and it requires updating.

Roy

yes, thank you Roy, this is an excellent idea, I have a page of some
bookmarks on a personal site but it is very rudimentary and old. You remind
me. Will just have to dump the lot into it and sort it out and then be sure
to keep it up to date... On the bright side, a bit of manual attention is an
opportunity to cull out stuff...

dorayme