boston perl classes with damian conway

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Uri Guttman, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Uri Guttman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    damian conway will be teaching these classes in boston:

    understanding regular expressions monday sept. 29
    intermediate object oriented perl tuesday sept. 20
    advanced module development thur/fri oct 1-2

    for more information and how to register go to:

    http://stemsystems.com/class/

    remember, that even if you can't attend, if you sign up colleagues
    and/or friends, you can earn a 5% commission. also the 50% discount for
    students and underemployed is still available.

    thanx,

    uri

    Damian Conway Class in Boston - Sept 2003 -- http://www.stemsystems.com/class
    Uri Guttman, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Also sprach Abigail:

    > Uri Guttman () wrote on MMMDCLXVIII September MCMXCIII
    > in <URL:news:>:
    > ))
    > )) damian conway will be teaching these classes in boston:
    > ))
    > )) understanding regular expressions monday sept. 29
    > )) intermediate object oriented perl tuesday sept. 20
    > )) advanced module development thur/fri oct 1-2
    > ))
    > )) for more information and how to register go to:
    > ))
    > )) http://stemsystems.com/class/
    > ))
    > )) remember, that even if you can't attend, if you sign up colleagues
    > )) and/or friends, you can earn a 5% commission. also the 50% discount for
    > )) students and underemployed is still available.
    >

    > I've seen so many announcements of this, I'd consider it spam.
    >
    > *PLONK*

    Having had a bad start in the day, Abigail?. You did not really killfile
    Uri, did you?

    Even though these classes are of no concern to me right now (I'm far
    away from Boston), I still find such announcements interesting just in
    order to see what's going on around Perl. Also, it's not there'd be an
    awful lot of such postings.

    Instead of regulars killfiling each other (which is a bad thing for this
    group IMHO), maybe announcements like this should be flagged as such by
    adding [ANN] or whatever to the subject. Thus, people could killfile on
    subjects instead of plonking the poster.

    Tassilo
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > damian conway will be teaching these classes in boston:

    Any chance he'll ever come to London ?
    Chris Marshall, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Uri Guttman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    A> $$ Instead of regulars killfiling each other (which is a bad thing
    A> for this $$ group IMHO), maybe announcements like this should be
    A> flagged as such by $$ adding [ANN] or whatever to the
    A> subject. Thus, people could killfile on $$ subjects instead of
    A> plonking the poster.

    A> No need for [ANN], given that there is a comp.lang.perl.announce
    A> newsgroup. So, beside spam, it was off-topic as well.

    c.l.p.announce is moderated so i can't post it there. and abigail isn't
    going to take these classes anyway. as for all those sites and lists, i
    can't imagine how many abigail is on since it was only announced on
    use.perl.org and perlmonks.org and local perl monger lists. so she is
    overreacting in her expected style. i can live with the plonking. :)

    Uri Guttman, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Uri Guttman

    Dave Cross Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:58:06 -0700, Chris Marshall wrote:

    > Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>
    >> damian conway will be teaching these classes in boston:

    > Any chance he'll ever come to London ?

    He's been to London at least twice in the last couple of years.

    Dave...

    --
    Drugs are just bad m'kay
    Dave Cross, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > so she is
    > overreacting in her expected style. i can live with the plonking. :)
    >
    > uri

    Abigail is a man.

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Uri Guttman

    Uri Guttman Guest

    DB> Uri Guttman <> wrote in message
    >> so she is overreacting in her expected style. i can live with the
    >> plonking. :)
    >>
    >> uri

    DB> Abigail is a man.

    i am well aware of that having met her many times. it is still easier to
    refer to 'her'.

    Uri Guttman, Sep 16, 2003
  8. c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    > A> newsgroup. So, beside spam, it was off-topic as well.
    >
    > c.l.p.announce is moderated so i can't post it there.

    Moderated, but apparently non-functional since June. Except for two OT
    postings that looked like somebody cracked the list, I haven't received
    anything directly or seen anything on Google in months. Off list the
    maintainer told me he was looking for a new host, but apparently with no
    luck so far. Anybody have suggestions?

    Jim Keenan
    James E Keenan, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Re: c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    On 16 Sep 2003 "James E Keenan" <> wrote in

    > "Uri Guttman" <> wrote in message

    >> A> newsgroup. So, beside spam, it was off-topic as well.
    >>
    >> c.l.p.announce is moderated so i can't post it there.

    > Moderated, but apparently non-functional since June. Except for
    > two OT postings that looked like somebody cracked the list, I
    > haven't received anything directly or seen anything on Google in
    > months. Off list the maintainer told me he was looking for a new
    > host, but apparently with no luck so far. Anybody have
    > suggestions?

    I might be able to take it on if someone will vounteer to be co-
    moderator. If it happens as I think it will then all you need to be
    able to do to become a moderator is send and receive e-mail, it isn't
    hard. If someone can send me the moderators address it will save me
    looking it up!

    BTW, is there a mailing list gated to the group? I would probably
    struggle to take this on[0] but I could enquire.

    [0] Getting a mailing list wouldn't be hard, keeping the old address
    / distribution list might be.
    --
    Graham Drabble
    If you're interested in what goes on in other groups or want to find
    Graham Drabble, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > c.l.p.announce is moderated so i can't post it there. and abigail isn't
    > going to take these classes anyway. as for all those sites and lists, i
    > can't imagine how many abigail is on since it was only announced on
    > use.perl.org and perlmonks.org and local perl monger lists. so she is
    > overreacting in her expected style. i can live with the plonking. :)

    Celebrity Death Match: Uri vs. Abigail. I love it.
    Lori Fleetwood, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Re: c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    Graham> I might be able to take it on if someone will vounteer to be co-
    Graham> moderator. If it happens as I think it will then all you need to be
    Graham> able to do to become a moderator is send and receive e-mail, it isn't
    Graham> hard. If someone can send me the moderators address it will save me
    Graham> looking it up!

    No, you need to be able to *post* to a moderated newsgroup with the
    right magic to get it out.

    I was unaware that my chosen usenet posting host has been blocking all
    such attempts, legitimate or not, for a long time. I'm in search of a
    posting host that will let me inject moderated articles. Once I find
    that, I can again resume CLPA postings.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Sep 17, 2003
  12. "Dave Cross" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:58:06 -0700, Chris Marshall wrote:
    >
    > > Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >>
    > >> damian conway will be teaching these classes in boston:

    > > Any chance he'll ever come to London ?

    > He's been to London at least twice in the last couple of years.

    okay...any chance he'll come to London again ?
    Chris Marshall, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Uri Guttman

    Dave Cross Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:14:18 -0700, Chris Marshall wrote:

    > "Dave Cross" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >> > Any chance he'll ever come to London ?

    >> He's been to London at least twice in the last couple of years.

    > okay...any chance he'll come to London again ?

    There's every chance. You might like to sign up to the London Perl Mongers
    mailing list (see <http://london.pm.org/>) as they will almosrt certainly
    be the first people to know.

    Dave...

    --
    Brian: Oh screw Maximilian!
    Sally: I do.
    Dave Cross, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Re: c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    On 17 Sep 2003 (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote in

    > Graham> I might be able to take it on if someone will vounteer to
    > be co- Graham> moderator. If it happens as I think it will then
    > all you need to be Graham> able to do to become a moderator is
    > send and receive e-mail, it isn't Graham> hard. If someone can
    > send me the moderators address it will save me Graham> looking it
    > up!
    >
    > No, you need to be able to *post* to a moderated newsgroup with
    > the right magic to get it out.

    I'm aware of that normally. Brian Edmonds () runs a mod
    bot that does most of that part for you. You simply have to
    communicate with it via e-mail commands.

    > I was unaware that my chosen usenet posting host has been blocking
    > all such attempts, legitimate or not, for a long time. I'm in
    > search of a posting host that will let me inject moderated
    > articles. Once I find that, I can again resume CLPA postings.

    news.individual.net (was news.cis.dfn.de) will allow it if you ask on
    signup (free). You could also talk to newsguy.com, they will
    sometimes do complimentary accounts for this sort of thing.
    Alternatively if you got hold of Brian I'm sure you would be able to
    use his modbot.

    Graham Drabble, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Re: c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    Randal> I was unaware that my chosen usenet posting host has been blocking all
    Randal> such attempts, legitimate or not, for a long time. I'm in search of a
    Randal> posting host that will let me inject moderated articles. Once I find
    Randal> that, I can again resume CLPA postings.

    By the way, in case it hadn't been noticed, CLPA is once again flowing.
    I found another host to inject moderated articles, and the first
    new post (after a three month dry spell) was the 5.8.1 announcement.
    Good timing. :)

    So, feel free to post to CLPA again.

    print "Just another Perl hacker," # and your CLPA moderator since 1995
    Randal L. Schwartz, Oct 2, 2003
  16. Re: c.l.p.announce MIA (was: boston perl classes with damian conway)

    On 02 Oct 2003 (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote in

    > Randal> I was unaware that my chosen usenet posting host has been
    > Randal> blocking all such attempts, legitimate or not, for a long
    > Randal> time. I'm in search of a posting host that will let me
    > Randal> inject moderated articles. Once I find that, I can again
    > Randal> resume CLPA postings.
    >
    > By the way, in case it hadn't been noticed, CLPA is once again
    > flowing. I found another host to inject moderated articles,

    Oh good. It did surprise me somewhat when I found that you were the
    moderator of record!

    > print "Just another Perl hacker," # and your CLPA moderator since
    > 1995

    Long may it continue.

    Graham Drabble, Oct 2, 2003