[BOUNTY] Pure Ruby Zlib::GzipWriter

Michael Letterle

Charles said:
Thanks Luis, but never mind, it was more about the challenge, and also
supporting the effort to ease problems on windows. I primarily use ruby
on windows, and make use of the fruits of your (one click installer),
and daniel berger's (win32 process, sys-*, et al) labors every day (at
work that is :). Props to you guys for making ruby on windows useable...

Charles,

I like how you laid out your project and whatnot. My "dream" is to make
zliby more then just a zlib compression library, but a more general
compression library and command line tool. Your compression code seems
to be more in the same style as my decompression implementation, any
qualms against me incorporating some of your stuff?

I also added Park to the zliby ruby-forge project, if you'd like I can
add you as well, or add you as a collaborator on the zliby github
project.

Charles L.

Michael said:
Charles,

I like how you laid out your project and whatnot. My "dream" is to make
zliby more then just a zlib compression library, but a more general
compression library and command line tool. Your compression code seems
to be more in the same style as my decompression implementation, any
qualms against me incorporating some of your stuff?

I also added Park to the zliby ruby-forge project, if you'd like I can
add you as well, or add you as a collaborator on the zliby github
project.

Hi Michael,

Sure feel free to add me on the rubyforge/github, or just copy the
relevant files back in if you prefer. There's a few small fixes needed
to the deflate code, but after that it might be a good candidate for
inclusion.

The idea of a general ruby compression library is nice. With rubyzip,
and a pure ruby zlib, all thats probably missing is bzip2, and bwt is
fairly straight forward (I believe I saw a python implementation in
around 100 lines).

I'm really hoping some of that javascript vm goodness will find its way
to ruby though (or psyco equivalent or whatever), because without it,
pure ruby compression (or any algorithmic code) remains unsuitable for
general purpose use.

Daniel Berger

Charles said:
Hi Michael,

Sure feel free to add me on the rubyforge/github, or just copy the
relevant files back in if you prefer. There's a few small fixes needed
to the deflate code, but after that it might be a good candidate for
inclusion.

The idea of a general ruby compression library is nice. With rubyzip,
and a pure ruby zlib, all thats probably missing is bzip2, and bwt is
fairly straight forward (I believe I saw a python implementation in
around 100 lines).

I'm really hoping some of that javascript vm goodness will find its way
to ruby though (or psyco equivalent or whatever), because without it,
pure ruby compression (or any algorithmic code) remains unsuitable for
general purpose use.

I didn't notice much of a slowdown with Park's version when installing
gems or building gems, though I didn't do any sort of formal benchmarking.

It would be interesting to see some real benchmarks with MRI, JRuby and 1.9.

Regards,

Dan