    Windows (heard good reports about it working fine on a Mac though).
    --
    Bob Farrell

    Bob Farrell, Jun 15, 2008

  2. 2008/6/15, Bob Farrell <>:

    > I released this a while ago but did some work recently to fix some bugs
    > so I thought I may as well post it here. To quickly summarise:
    > In-line syntax highlighting
    > Auto complete with suggestions as you type
    > Pastebin stuff, save to file
    > "Rewind" feature to jump back a line if you mess up (don't ask how it
    > works, please ;)
    >
    > You can get it here:
    > http://www.noiseforfree.com/bpython/
    >
    > There's info about git repos and what have you there, and apparently
    > it's also in some real distro repos, but I don't know the details.
    >
    > Oh, and you'll need pygments and pyparsing, and it doesn't work on
    > Windows (heard good reports about it working fine on a Mac though).

    Great work, bobf. :)
    I've been using bpython from time to time for a month now, so I can
    only appreciate the fact that bpython is developing. I think that with
    that speed of development bpython will substitute ipython as my
    everyday python console in the near future (3-4 months).

    P.S. I think you should of cc'd this announcement to python-announce-list. ;)

    > --
    > Bob Farrell

    Wbr, Andrii Mishkovskyi.

    He's got a heart of a little child, and he keeps it in a jar on his desk.

    Andrii V. Mishkovskyi, Jun 15, 2008

  3. I couldn't get it work on Solaris (modified some lines for Python2.3).
    One reason was that I had to download pyreadline separately
    - I did than but now pyreadline requires either ironpython or
    a windows installation. Something is going wrong...

    Best regards

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Grafen, Jun 16, 2008
  4. Wolfgang Grafen <>:

    > I couldn't get it work on Solaris (modified some lines for Python2.3).

    If solaris doesn't have a readline library, you might try to compile gnu
    readline, and recompile python (also a chance to get the current version
    2.5)

    > One reason was that I had to download pyreadline separately
    > - I did than but now pyreadline requires either ironpython or
    > a windows installation.

    pyreadline is a windows-only thing. Since readline is a standard module on
    most unix systems and linux, there was no need to implement pyreadline for
    these systems. It would have been difficult anyway, since the windows
    console is completely different to unix consoles (which are fairly
    compatible to each other, a outcome of POSIX efforts).

    (Rosa Luxemburg)

    Sebastian \lunar\ Wiesner, Jun 16, 2008