breaking from a loop only works when I compile with optimisation

Seebs

It's an advertising jingle for Oscar Meyer bologna. Quoting the
lyrics was certainly off-topic, but I for one found it mildly amusing
(which isn't to suggest that you should). I have no idea why you
found it "macabre". Kenneth Brody has contributed enough to this
newsgroup (more than you have) that an occasional off-topic joke
is tolerable.

Exactly. It was funny (I thought), and not particularly disruptive or
harmful.
You're certainly under no obligation to read his articles, but if you
choose not to it's your loss, IMHO.
Exactly.

Oh, and calling him a "retard" is offensive.

Also exactly my thoughts.

Sometimes people post silly remarks. Why, I've heard *rumors* that people
sometimes post puns, and then... *other people respond with more puns*. This
sort of insanity can only lead to fraternization, which could lead to sex,
which is a problem because it might lead to dancing, and you know how badly
most programmers dance.

Nonetheless, a certain amount of general silliness has been a trait of Usenet
for the last few decades, and I don't think it's sane to call someone a
"retard" for being silly.

-s

Oliver Jackson

It's an advertising jingle for Oscar Meyer bologna.  Quoting the
lyrics was certainly off-topic, but I for one found it mildly amusing
(which isn't to suggest that you should).  I have no idea why you
found it "macabre".  Kenneth Brody has contributed enough to this
newsgroup (more than you have) that an occasional off-topic joke
is tolerable.

You're certainly under no obligation to read his articles, but if you
choose not to it's your loss, IMHO.

Oh, and calling him a "retard" is offensive.

I'm sorry, but his obviously sexual poem about giving his bologna a
name ("Oscar") was well beyond the pale. You can choose to be
offended by my reaction, but I would suggest to you that your
criticism is wildly misplaced. Then comes Seebs to gleefully and
randomly subject us to descriptions of fraternal sex. His post was
mostly incomprehensible, but he did manage enough clarity to deliver
that low blow. What's more, Eric threatened my life in his response to
me. If your automatic reaction is doubt, then go back and read it.

I used to like reading this newsgroup for the informative C language
postings. Unbeknownst to me, the group has apparently been overrun by
perverts and deviants in recent times, and I find myself with little
choice but to pursue my academic interests elsewhere.

Good day, sir.

Marcin Grzegorczyk

I can't resist the urge to add a little bit to this nonsense sub-thread.

Oliver Jackson said:
I'm sorry, but his obviously sexual poem about giving his bologna a
name ("Oscar") was well beyond the pale.
[...]Then comes Seebs to gleefully and
randomly subject us to descriptions of fraternal sex.
[...] Unbeknownst to me, the group has apparently been overrun by
perverts and deviants [...]

And this all coming from someone whose e-mail address contains the word
"mofo".
[shakes head]

Seebs

I can't resist the urge to add a little bit to this nonsense sub-thread.

WTF. Okay, that's sufficiently surreal to be funny.

Oliver: It is not HIS poem. It is a commercial for Oscar Meyer brand
bologna. Or should I say baloney? Seriously. This is a jingle that
about 90% of the people I've ever met have heard at least once on radio
or television. Heck, it's so widely known that it was used as part of a
joke in a movie about a dystopian future, in which "oldies" stations play
old commercial jingles, and people gleefully sing along with "I wish I
was an Oscar Meyer weiner".

Let's do a test.

Who's the leader of the Club that's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E!

.... Okay, do you think I am trying to induct you into a strange animal-worship
cult that names mice? If so, you're a looner. If not, you're inconsistent.
[...]Then comes Seebs to gleefully and
randomly subject us to descriptions of fraternal sex.

An inappropriate remark I would have made a lot more overt had only I
realized how crazy the context was.

-s

Seebs

I read it. He didn't.

Agreed. "It's your funeral" is an idiom used to indicate "you are allowed
to do things that are to your own disadvantage". Such as plonking Kenneth
Brody.

-s

Keith Thompson

Oliver Jackson said:
I'm sorry, but his obviously sexual poem about giving his bologna a
name ("Oscar") was well beyond the pale. You can choose to be
offended by my reaction, but I would suggest to you that your
criticism is wildly misplaced. Then comes Seebs to gleefully and
randomly subject us to descriptions of fraternal sex. His post was
mostly incomprehensible, but he did manage enough clarity to deliver
that low blow. What's more, Eric threatened my life in his response to
me. If your automatic reaction is doubt, then go back and read it.

I used to like reading this newsgroup for the informative C language
postings. Unbeknownst to me, the group has apparently been overrun by
perverts and deviants in recent times, and I find myself with little
choice but to pursue my academic interests elsewhere.

Good day, sir.

There is a fine line between parodying a humorless idiot and actually
being one. And you, sir, are erasing it.