Breaking JNLP apps

Roedy Green

Sun never broke apps with changes to Java, but Oracle did one, and did
it quietly without telling anyone by putting in some sort of error
message to warn you what was happening.

They have stopped supporting the properties feature of JNLP files.
They quietly ignore them.

They will pay attention to them only if you sign your jar file.

This is somewhat awkward for me since I generate JNLP files
dynamically.

It wants you have a real certificate. A self-signed one does not
appear to work.

I guess the trick is to duplicate the properties is a *.properties
file and embed them in a resource in the jar.

Andreas Leitgeb

Roedy Green said:
They have stopped supporting the properties feature of JNLP files.
They quietly ignore them.

Unsigned (and self-signed) jar-files have become the unwanted
step-child of oracle.
They will pay attention to them only if you sign your jar file.

I think I read, that if you rename the properties to let them
start with certain "safe" prefixes, then it might still work.
(At least for a while until they maybe turn that off, too.)
This is somewhat awkward for me since I generate JNLP files
dynamically.

There is supposed to be a feature "jnlp-template", where you
embed not the exact jnlp into the signed jar-file, but only
a template version with "*" substituted for those dynamic parts.

I tried that a while ago, and it didn't work for me, which means
that our clients are still stuck at Java 6.

I recently posted here about my jnlp-template problems, but either
no one saw it or no one knew an answer. No one was inclined to post
a followup. The post's subject was
"difficulties with using signed jnlp template"
its message-id is: <[email protected]>

markspace

or no one knew an answer. No one was inclined to post

Probably this. I personally didn't. I haven't had a chance to work
with applets in a long time. I wonder if there's a better forum for
this, maybe some help line at Oracle or their forum?

markspace

I recently posted here about my jnlp-template problems, but either
no one saw it or no one knew an answer. No one was inclined to post
a followup. The post's subject was
"difficulties with using signed jnlp template"
its message-id is: <[email protected]>

Here's a blog from Oracle I just happened on. I wonder if you could
leave a comment or use their community features to get feedback on the
issue you're having.

<https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/new_security_requirements_for_rias>