Breaking up a long element

Doug

I'm using XSLT to convert an XML document into a text file for
processing on our mainframe. I've got everything working fine except
for one issue.

One of the elements returned can contain a large amount of data (2K+)
in size. Here's an example:

<jurisdictionssearched display="yes">Alaska Courts,Arizona
Corrections,Arizona Courts,Arkansas Courts,California Court
Index,Connecticut Corrections,Connecticut Courts,Connecticut Traffic
Court,District of Columbia Corrections,Florida Broward County,Florida
Corrections,Florida Duval County,Florida Palm Beach County,Florida
Pinellas County,Florida Suwannee County,Foreign National,Georgia
Corrections,Idaho Corrections,Illinois Archived Corrections,Illinois
Cook County,Illinois Corrections,Indiana Corrections,Iowa
Corrections,Kansas Corrections,Kansas Sedgwick County,Kentucky
Corrections,Maine Corrections,Michigan Corrections,Minnesota
Corrections,Minnesota Courts,Mississippi Corrections,Mississippi Hinds
County,Missouri Corrections,Montana Corrections,Multi-State Sex And
Violent Offender,Nebraska Corrections,Nevada Archived
Corrections,Nevada Corrections,New Jersey Archived Corrections,New
Jersey Corrections,New Jersey Courts,New York Corrections,North
Carolina Corrections,North Carolina Courts,Ohio Corrections,Oklahoma
Corrections,Oregon Clackamas County,Oregon Columbia County,Oregon Coos
County,Oregon Corrections,Oregon Deschutes County,Oregon Douglas
County,Oregon Hood County,Oregon Jackson County,Oregon Josephine
County,Oregon Klamath County,Oregon Lane County,Oregon Lincoln
County,Oregon Linn County,Oregon Marion County,Oregon Multnomah
County,Oregon Umatilla County,Oregon Washington County,Oregon Yamhill
County,Rhode Island Courts,South Carolina Corrections,Tennessee
Corrections,Tennessee Courts,Texas Courts,Texas Sex Offender
Registry,Utah Corrections,Utah Courts,Virginia Courts,Virginia Fairfax
Circuit Court,Virginia Fairfax County Archived District Court,Virginia
Traffic Courts,Washington CLJ Courts,Washington Corrections,Washington
Superior Courts,Wisconsin Corrections,Wisconsin
Courts</jurisdictionssearched>

I'm not fluent in XML/XSLT so the way I work with stuff is pretty
basic. Is there a way to break this mass up into separate lines (CRLF
delimited) of a particular length, say 80 bytes long - could be 100,
256, whatever. Whether it breaks in the middle of a word doesn't
matter. Once it's broken up, I can rebuild it on the mainframe. The
line length is an issue. I'd like to keep it under 500 bytes if
possible.

Thanks,
Doug

Martin Honnen

Doug said:
[...]

XSLT/XPath works on characters not bytes. You can use XPath functions
like substring to break up a string into smaller parts.