Browser history doubled, back button busted

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by markspace, Jul 3, 2009.

  1. markspace

    markspace Guest

    Does anyone know a of a common problem where the browser history is
    doubled, and the back button won't work, but just stays on the current page?

    The nytimes.com page is giving me fits. It has this problem, and
    customer support seems to be, well, not. Before I troubleshoot their
    problem for them, I thought I'd ask around.

    No this is not for pay. I thought it would help me learn if I did a
    little research. And maybe when I'm done I'll write a letter to the
    editor about it.

    Any ideas?

    I suspect HTML redirect more than JavaScript, but I thought I'd ask here
    since the JavaScript is likely to be trickery to troubleshoot if that's
    where the problem is. Right now I don't seem to be able to browse to
    the "in between" pages at all, I always end up on the "next" page. So
    looking at the source is a bit tricky right now. I wonder if wget will
    help....

    markspace, Jul 3, 2009

  2. On Jul 3, 1:52 pm, markspace <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know a of a common problem where the browser history is
    > doubled, and the back button won't work, but just stays on the current page?
    >
    > The nytimes.com page is giving me fits.  It has this problem, and
    > customer support seems to be, well, not.  Before I troubleshoot their
    > problem for them, I thought I'd ask around.
    >
    > No this is not for pay.  I thought it would help me learn if I did a
    > little research.  And maybe when I'm done I'll write a letter to the
    > editor about it.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > I suspect HTML redirect more than JavaScript, but I thought I'd ask here
    > since the JavaScript is likely to be trickery to troubleshoot if that's
    > where the problem is.  Right now I don't seem to be able to browse to
    > the "in between" pages at all, I always end up on the "next" page.  So
    > looking at the source is a bit tricky right now.  I wonder if wget will
    > help....

    It uses an intermediate page. Typically with a meta redirect to the
    second page. On the page with the link to the next page, right click
    and "copy shortcut". Then you can retrieve that page and view the
    source on it to see what its doing.

    Randy

    One Dumm Hikk, Jul 4, 2009

  3. markspace

    markspace Guest

    One Dumm Hikk wrote:

    > It uses an intermediate page. Typically with a meta redirect to the
    > second page. On the page with the link to the next page, right click
    > and "copy shortcut". Then you can retrieve that page and view the
    > source on it to see what its doing.

    wget showed me two redirects, one 301 permanent, one 302 temporary.
    That's a cute trick with the "copy shortcut" (actually "copy link
    location" in FireFox, I think), I'll give that a poke.

    But just for FYI, I disabled No-Script on FireFox and the back button
    works. Then I re-enabled No-Script, and allowed every script on the
    pages. The back button did not work. So now I've got a bug report into
    the No-Script folks, might be a problem with their code.

    markspace, Jul 4, 2009