Browser history doubled, back button busted

markspace

Does anyone know a of a common problem where the browser history is
doubled, and the back button won't work, but just stays on the current page?

The nytimes.com page is giving me fits. It has this problem, and
customer support seems to be, well, not. Before I troubleshoot their
problem for them, I thought I'd ask around.

No this is not for pay. I thought it would help me learn if I did a
little research. And maybe when I'm done I'll write a letter to the
editor about it.

Any ideas?

I suspect HTML redirect more than JavaScript, but I thought I'd ask here
since the JavaScript is likely to be trickery to troubleshoot if that's
where the problem is. Right now I don't seem to be able to browse to
the "in between" pages at all, I always end up on the "next" page. So
looking at the source is a bit tricky right now. I wonder if wget will
help....

One Dumm Hikk

[...]

It uses an intermediate page. Typically with a meta redirect to the
second page. On the page with the link to the next page, right click
and "copy shortcut". Then you can retrieve that page and view the
source on it to see what its doing.

Randy

markspace

One said:
It uses an intermediate page. Typically with a meta redirect to the
second page. On the page with the link to the next page, right click
and "copy shortcut". Then you can retrieve that page and view the
source on it to see what its doing.

wget showed me two redirects, one 301 permanent, one 302 temporary.
That's a cute trick with the "copy shortcut" (actually "copy link
location" in FireFox, I think), I'll give that a poke.

But just for FYI, I disabled No-Script on FireFox and the back button
works. Then I re-enabled No-Script, and allowed every script on the
pages. The back button did not work. So now I've got a bug report into
the No-Script folks, might be a problem with their code.