Browser History Getting Cleared Sporadically

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by BrainTop, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. BrainTop

    BrainTop Guest

    This is driving me nuts for last one week. Appreciate any assistance.

    I have ASP.NET web application with many pages. Some of them post back
    to itself and then links to another page.
    Everything was working great so far. Recently we did some modifications
    (included a new page) and after that things have gone ugly.

    This is the issue: Lets say the user has browsed through number of
    pages, came to one particular page (search), posted the form back to
    itself and got a result set displayed on a datagrid. (At this stage, if
    I click on the little arrow next to BACK button in IE, I can see all
    the previous pages listed here ). DataGrid has a hyperlink to another
    page (which opens in the same window) and when the user clicks on that
    link, new page(ResultDetail) comes up but ALL BUT one entry is REMOVED
    from the Back button (meaning, If I click on the little arrow on back
    button I can see only the JUST PREVIOUS page). All others are gone. If
    they click on a link on this (ResultDetail) page a new page
    (Furtherdown) will come, but it holds JUST ONE page(ResultDetail) in
    the BACK Button. So, from this page (Furtherdown), the user can only
    navigate back to (Resultdetail) and on that page the back button is
    eventually disabled.(because it does not hold any other page).

    FYI : (I watch the history bar (Ctl + H) while browsing the application
    and can see that all pages are still showing up in history as usual.
    Its getting cleared only from the Dropdown arrow on BACK button. This
    issue happend only on IE, it wokrs fine on Firefox)

    This is extremely important for us since users rely on back button a
    lot.

    I tried everything I can think of but nothing helps. Can anyone help in
    this please ?

    Thanks.
    BrainTop, Sep 18, 2006

  2. BrainTop

    Guest

    , Sep 18, 2006

  3. BrainTop

    Andreas

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Braintop, its interesting to see someone who is having the same problem as we have in our project.

    Your text is an exact description as to what happens in our web application (ASP.Net 2.0). The browsers history list gets deleted for no apparent reason from time to time, which has a big negative impact to our users.

    Just by browsing the web site using the menu-system triggers the problem but only periodically (approx 1 out of 5 page visits), but there seems to be no common factor. Instead it feels like its happening by random, both regarding time and what page is visited.

    It works fine in Firefox but not in MSIE.

    Have put in a lot of hours at this but have found no solution, let alone an understanding to why this occurs.

    Have you found a solution to this yet?
    Andreas, Oct 17, 2006