BTS- your "professional" opinion wanted

richard

http://1littleworld.net/oldies/test.html

Here is one version of what I have been working on in the past few months.
First, note that it does validate.
If I use this as a final version there are some issues I'm trying to clear
up.

1) When clicked to "open", the name in blue becomes red. I would like that
and the underlying title section to be centered.

2) the part in "yellow" should be the width of the text. Not the entire
width of the container.

3) when multiple artists are listed for the same song, I only want the song
to be listed, then each artist has their own visible block.

The tab script came from www.barelyfitz.com
The other script came from www.dynamicdrive.com.

Explain to me how you would do this por favor.

Denis McMahon

http://1littleworld.net/oldies/test.html

Here is one version of what I have been working on in the past few months.
First, note that it does validate.

Value Error : cursor (http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#propdef-cursor)
hand is not a cursor value : hand hand

I think that this css:

..handcursor{
cursor:hand;
cursor:pointer;
}

Is equivalent to:

..handcursor{
cursor:pointer;
}

which would prevent that error.

File not found: http://1littleworld.net/oldies/example-print.css: Not Found

This won't work in a script section:

document.write('<style type="text/css">.tabber{display:none;}<\/style>');

Because you can't have a style element inside a script element. This
isn't detected by the validator because the validator doesn't parse
javascript.

If you want to set the initial style of all elements of class tabber,
just do it in the <style type="text/css"> element with:

..tabber {display:none;}
If I use this as a final version there are some issues I'm trying to clear
up.

1) When clicked to "open", the name in blue becomes red. I would like that
and the underlying title section to be centered.

What do you mean by "the underlying title section"? The title section
div seems to be a wrapper for the whole album div. Perhaps wrap the
actual title text in a <p></p> and set the relevant paragraph's style to
text-align:center or text-align:left depending on whether it was being
displayed in the album list or the album display.
2) the part in "yellow" should be the width of the text. Not the entire
width of the container.

Perhaps put a span round the text and set the span background color to
yellow.
3) when multiple artists are listed for the same song, I only want the song
to be listed, then each artist has their own visible block.

The tab script came from www.barelyfitz.com
The other script came from www.dynamicdrive.com.

Explain to me how you would do this por favor.

I'd write my own code to do it from scratch, because then I would have
some sort of idea of how it worked.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
http://1littleworld.net/oldies/test.html

Here is one version of what I have been working on in the past few
months. First, note that it does validate.

...except for some CSS errors.
If I use this as a final version there are some issues I'm trying to
clear up.

Where will you use it? You said your site is only a placeholder.
1) When clicked to "open", the name in blue becomes red. I would like
that and the underlying title section to be centered.

No, you don't. Centered text, when widths vary, is hard to read. The eye
doesn't know where to start, and has to hunt for the beginning of the
line.
2) the part in "yellow" should be the width of the text. Not the
entire width of the container.

No, you don't. That would make the width change for each entry,
confusing the eye.
3) when multiple artists are listed for the same song, I only want
the song to be listed, then each artist has their own visible block.

Sounds like minor adjustments to the CSS should be able to change those
things.
The tab script came from www.barelyfitz.com
The other script came from www.dynamicdrive.com.

Ah, so you didn't actually write it?
Explain to me how you would do this por favor.

Well, I think there are a few drawbacks in your design. First, if you
click a song near the bottom of the viewport, the result shows *below*
the viewport, requiring scrolling. If was me, I'd narrow the column and
display the result in a bordered area vertically centered in that unused
space to the right.

Second, I would combine multiple entries (3 Banjo Boys), and display the
three results together to the right. (Why do they all say "flipside"?)

Third, I would change all the garish colors to something more pleasing.
I would also reduce the boldness of the titles.

Fourth, I would stop trying to alter the cursor, so it actually looks
like the title could be clicked, as it does when you click the alphabet
letters. (the hand)

I want to look up a song from 1959...

richard

[...]

Not my writing. Came with the script as is.

richard

..except for some CSS errors.

Where will you use it? You said your site is only a placeholder.

No, I said what I put up for the domain name is a place holder.

No, you don't. Centered text, when widths vary, is hard to read. The eye
doesn't know where to start, and has to hunt for the beginning of the
line.

Oh please. The eye has already focused in on the small area. Very little
shifting has to be done to find the rest.
No, you don't. That would make the width change for each entry,
confusing the eye.

Do you have a college degree in ocular conclusions? You should.
Sounds like minor adjustments to the CSS should be able to change those
things.

Ah, so you didn't actually write it?

Never said I did.
Well, I think there are a few drawbacks in your design. First, if you
click a song near the bottom of the viewport, the result shows *below*
the viewport, requiring scrolling. If was me, I'd narrow the column and
display the result in a bordered area vertically centered in that unused
space to the right.

Which is another version I am working on.
Second, I would combine multiple entries (3 Banjo Boys), and display the
three results together to the right. (Why do they all say "flipside"?)

Are you really that dense? Flipside is a term used in the music business
for the other side of the record. I do not have all of that information as
of yet. When I do, "flipside" will be replaced with the proper name.
Third, I would change all the garish colors to something more pleasing.
I would also reduce the boldness of the titles.

Fourth, I would stop trying to alter the cursor, so it actually looks
like the title could be clicked, as it does when you click the alphabet
letters. (the hand)

Tell that to the author of the script.
I want to look up a song from 1959...

www.google.com

Thanks for the insight.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
No, I said what I put up for the domain name is a place holder.

Semantics.
Oh please. The eye has already focused in on the small area. Very
little shifting has to be done to find the rest.

I suppose you've never seen any recommendations to not use centered text
then.

Do you have a college degree in ocular conclusions? You should.

Do you want help, or not?
Never said I did.

Which is another version I am working on.

I'll wait for it.
Are you really that dense?

Are you really that rude? Oh, yeah, you are.
Flipside is a term used in the music business for the other side of
the record. I do not have all of that information as of yet. When I
do, "flipside" will be replaced with the proper name.

I knew what a flipside was when you were still in diapers. I was buying
those 1960 records when you were in diapers. I asked you why does your
page *say* "flipside" (instead of actually presenting the info).
Otherwise, leave the word "flipside" off until you get the data. Instead
of being rude, you could have merely stated "I am waiting for more
data."
Tell that to the author of the script.

You are the one presenting it. It's an error in design.
www.google.com

Thanks for the insight.

Right.

P E Schoen

"richard" wrote in message
Here is one version of what I have been working on in the
past few months.
First, note that it does validate.
If I use this as a final version there are some issues I'm
trying to clear up.
The tab script came from www.barelyfitz.com
The other script came from www.dynamicdrive.com.

When I viewed the source I was surprised how long it took to load. And then
I was even more surprised that there was 7442 lines of HTML code, with the
following repeated several hundred times:

Aside from the appearance and function of the website, this cries out for a
database, or even JavaScript and an array. Of course, this code might have
been generated by a script, but it seems very inefficient and difficult to
maintain as it is.

Here's the link for the tabber:
http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/

The DynamicDrive website has a "buysellads" image that is stuck on download.
Seems like a comprehensive DHTML and JavaScript library.

Paul

richard

"richard" wrote in message

When I viewed the source I was surprised how long it took to load. And then
I was even more surprised that there was 7442 lines of HTML code, with the
following repeated several hundred times:

Aside from the appearance and function of the website, this cries out for a
database, or even JavaScript and an array. Of course, this code might have
been generated by a script, but it seems very inefficient and difficult to
maintain as it is.

Here's the link for the tabber:
http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/

The DynamicDrive website has a "buysellads" image that is stuck on download.
Seems like a comprehensive DHTML and JavaScript library.

Paul

yeah I know it's a bit cumbersome. The main reason I chose the second
script was because I could use any ID I wanted, not some "must be"
requirement by the script.

All of the div's with "list" are for that script. The capital letter tells
me in which tab they belong, and the following number is just an
identifier.

I wrote a short bit of code in Liberty Basic to make that part a snap.

As I said, this is but one version I have tried. I just may wind up doing
it in php and mysql, if I ever learn that side of it.

richard

I suppose you've never seen any recommendations to not use centered text
then.

<http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typelayout/a/centeredtext.htm>
"Use Centered Text Sparingly"

The Bottom Line: There is no right or wrong way to align text. Use the
alignment that makes the most sense for the design and that effectively
communicates your message. However, for most body copy situations, avoid
centered text.

IOW, they don't know what's right either.
Do you want help, or not?

Yes, but without the typical government beaucratic approach.
I'll wait for it.

Are you really that rude? Oh, yeah, you are.

You're the one who has no understanding of a simple common word.
I knew what a flipside was when you were still in diapers. I was buying
those 1960 records when you were in diapers. I asked you why does your
page *say* "flipside" (instead of actually presenting the info).
Otherwise, leave the word "flipside" off until you get the data. Instead
of being rude, you could have merely stated "I am waiting for more
data."

You are the one presenting it. It's an error in design.

Oh so now I get slapped for being the user too.

Doug Miller

Are you really that dense? Flipside is a term used in the music business
for the other side of the record. I do not have all of that information as
of yet. When I do, "flipside" will be replaced with the proper name.

Are you really that much of a dick? You asked him for his help, and, when he
provides it, you criticize his suggestions and abuse him personally.

And then you wonder why people think you're an ass.

Dave Doe

http://1littleworld.net/oldies/test.html

Here is one version of what I have been working on in the past few months.
First, note that it does validate.
If I use this as a final version there are some issues I'm trying to clear
up.

1) When clicked to "open", the name in blue becomes red. I would like that
and the underlying title section to be centered.

2) the part in "yellow" should be the width of the text. Not the entire
width of the container.

3) when multiple artists are listed for the same song, I only want the song
to be listed, then each artist has their own visible block.

The tab script came from www.barelyfitz.com
The other script came from www.dynamicdrive.com.

Explain to me how you would do this por favor.

Learn how to "page" record sets - 7,400 odd lines of source on that page
is ridiculous. While at it, you'll figure question 3 hopefully :)

Learn CSS (answers questions 1 and 2).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Doug said:
Are you really that much of a dick? You asked him for his help, and,
when he provides it, you criticize his suggestions and abuse him
personally.

Par for the course. Just richard the st00pid being his decades-old usual
self. I am enured to his attitude. Sometimes, it's downright funny. :)
And then you wonder why people think you're an ass.

His is a well-deserved reputation.

Doug Miller

Par for the course. Just richard the st00pid being his decades-old usual
self. I am enured to his attitude. Sometimes, it's downright funny. :)

His is a well-deserved reputation.
Oh, believe me, *I* don't wonder any more why people think he's an ass...