building 2.4.1 on HPUX

Richard Patterson

I'm trying to compile python 2.4.1, on HPUX10.20, with support for tk and
tcl 8.4 (installed in /opt/tk and /opt/tcl). I assume this means I need to
compile the tkinter module too..

I was getting make errors, saying it couldn't find tcl/tk libs or headers...
so I changed the setup.py script, hard coding library and include paths for
tcl/tk, but it still didn't build the _tkinter module. So next I modified
the Modules/Setup file, uncommenting, and changing compiler arguments to
point to the correct lib and include paths. At least it built this time...
so I ran make test, and got the following error for test_tcl:

TclError: Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories:
/opt/tcl8.4.4/lib/tk8.4 <etc .... the rest of the dirs listed are in my
home directory>

On my system, /opt/tk is a link to /opt/tk8.4.4, therefore, the tk.tcl file
is really in /opt/tk/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl, but why didn't it look there?

I'm stumped. Did I really have to hack the setup.py and Setup files? Where
is it getting its paths from? Is my environment wrong, or do I need to
change some configure parameters? I'm hoping someone out there knows what
I'm doing wrong, or perhaps can point me in the right direction. Thanks
again

Rich

Richard Patterson

In case someone else reads these for information about a simliar problem....

It turns out, that I did not need to edit the setup.py script, I could just
ignore the compile time INFO statements regarding Tk/Tcl libs and includes..
I did need to modify the Modules/Setup file however...

But the final run-time trick was to define two environment variables...
TK_LIBRARY=/opt/tk/lib/tk8.4, and TCL_LIBRARY=/opt/tcl/lib/tcl8.4

Now "make test", "./python Lib/test/test_tcl.py", and all my python 1.6
scripts seem to work.

I don't know if this is the best solution, but it seems to work.