Building a Perl based online survey and data gathering, reporting and analysis tool

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by George_V, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. George_V

    George_V Guest

    Hi all. First up - I'm not a programmer. I'm researching for an online
    survey and data analysis tool for Monash University, Australia.

    Our developers are keen on a Perl solution. I've found some Perl form
    generators and basic survey tools, but we need something that has
    powerful gathering, reporting and analysis capability.

    I have included a wish list of our requirements, hopefully they'll
    make enough sense to give you an idea of what we're after. If anyone
    knows of a single Perl based package or any useful modules that could
    be added onto a front end to build a complete package I would be most
    grateful for your info.

    Wishlist:

    *Questions* based on a standardised 5-point scale (strongly agree ->
    strongly disagree) + don't know/unable to judge and doesn't
    apply/inappropriate.
    *Flexibility*: We would like to create survey form templates that can
    be easily adapted by untrained academic staff, to satisfy differing
    evaluation requirements across various units. This may involve adding
    or subtracting questions from the survey.

    *Distribute and Gathering*:

    * Generate Scantron/Word document (could be PDF and published online)
    * Configure: optional reminders; notifications; closing dates, etc.
    * Define respondent grouping based on student or unit attributes
    * Notify respondents: email, messaging
    * Reports on responses and response rates inc. timestamp (into
    database…?)
    * Ticketing facility for identifying non-respondents
    * Capacity for distinguishing between cohorts based on LDAP
    attributes/ Sending them different questionnaires / Interactive
    questionnaires with branching
    * Support both qualitative and quantitative questions / Process for
    removing identifying information
    * Massage data from scan sheets into the database
    * Generate scan sheets from electronic surveys
    * Audit trails (date completed, etc.)

    **Reporting and analysis:**

    * Access control: initially only at Faculty level (further access
    control offline)
    * User enquiries (standard database for arbitrary reports)
    * Access to past reports / saved queries
    * Queries students or by question
    * Simple reports should happen within a minute, complex reports can
    happen within 24 hours
    * Time-series analyses require ad hoc access for last five years
    * Compare against previous time taught
    * Compare against same teaching period previous year
    * Analysis of both qualitative and quantitative questions
    * Qualitative looks for frequently repeated words/sentences to
    identify themes of feedback
    * Audit trails (reports run, by whom, etc.)
    * Unique identification of reports (timestamp)
    * Extract data in an Excel-friendly format (.csv/.xls)

    Many thanks for taking the time to look this over. Cheers. GeorgeV.
    George_V, Oct 5, 2004

  2. George_V

    Abhinav Guest

    Re: Building a Perl based online survey and data gathering, reportingand analysis tool

    George_V wrote:
    > Hi all. First up - I'm not a programmer. I'm researching for an online
    > survey and data analysis tool for Monash University, Australia.
    >
    > Our developers are keen on a Perl solution. I've found some Perl form
    > generators and basic survey tools, but we need something that has
    > powerful gathering, reporting and analysis capability.
    >
    > I have included a wish list of our requirements, hopefully they'll
    > make enough sense to give you an idea of what we're after. If anyone
    > knows of a single Perl based package or any useful modules that could
    > be added onto a front end to build a complete package I would be most
    > grateful for your info.

    [Snipped Wishlist]

    There are many web sites which host such surveys, as I found out while
    doing a [small] project of this kind a few years back.

    Searching google will bring up most of them..

    Regards
    Abhinav
    Abhinav, Oct 5, 2004