building performance

Roedy Green

I am in a slow process of upgrading my machine to a 6-core CPU.

I was wondering how this might affect build speed.

1. Do ant, Javac, jarsigner etc do much threading?

2. Is there anything reasonable simple to take advantage of the extra
cores?

I was mostly just hoping they could chug away in the background
without interfering with my foreground typing.

Arne Vajhøj

I am in a slow process of upgrading my machine to a 6-core CPU.

I was wondering how this might affect build speed.

1. Do ant, Javac, jarsigner etc do much threading?

No.

But you can ask ant to do it:

http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/parallel.html
2. Is there anything reasonable simple to take advantage of the extra
cores?

I was mostly just hoping they could chug away in the background
without interfering with my foreground typing.

Are builds really a problem?

Arne

Roedy Green

What do you mean? A list of applications?
Video editing software and video transcoding software loves multicore
systems in general. I don't need to point out Application Servers and
stuff, I think. Some games make use of it, but I don't think that's what
you had in mind.

I was asking in the context of ANT builds.