Built-in is-logged-on status variable?

S Olson

I assume that mostly, asp programmers use their own session variable to
know whether a user is to be considered is-logged-on (together with a
home-written log-on form web page).

However, I wonder if there is a convention for the name of such a
variable?

And does asp/iis have a built-in is-logged-on status variable? For
example when IIS is to render a normal html page with an acl that
invokes a basic authentication, can I as an asp programmer make use of
that status variable, and can I write to it to force a logout
programatically?

So, this is not about it there is a session as such, it is about beeing
logge-on inside an asp-session. I've looked around but haven't found
any good info on this.

Rgds
Sven

paul

Instead of having a session variable called IsLoggedIn or whatever I
often have a session variable with the same name as the user level
field in the users table which may be called UserLevel. This is
because different levels of users such as Admin or User can access
different things on the Web pages.

And perhaps this may hopefully give you some ideas:

Classic ASP Design Tips - Login Page
http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-loginpage.asp

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com
Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips