    installation problems:
    Data::Dumper Apache::Request
    </output>

    How do I resolve this?

    Garry

    gunzip, Apr 20, 2004

  2. gunzip

    gunzip Guest

    One source advised installing Apache::Test but that produced another error:

    Skip the test suite? [No]
    make: *** [run_tests] Error 1
    /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

    Why is it such a pain in the *** getting Perl to work? And we wonder why web
    developers have turned in their droves to PHP. This kind of experience is
    exactly why.

    Garry

    gunzip, Apr 20, 2004

  3. gunzip

    gunzip Guest

    Looking closer at the output, this seemed relevant but I'm still no wiser:

    <output>
    [warning] rerunning '/usr/bin/perl
    /private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0'
    with new config opts
    [warning] root mode: changing the files ownership to 'nobody'
    (4294967294:4294967294)
    [warning] testing whether 'nobody' is able to -rwx
    /private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t
    "/usr/bin/perl" -Mlib=lib -MApache::TestRun -e 'eval {
    Apache::TestRun::run_root_fs_test(4294967294, 4294967294,
    q[/private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t]) }';

    [warning] result:
    [ error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
    Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
    we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (4294967294:4294967294).
    The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):
    /private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t
    must be 'rwx' by user 'nobody', so Apache can read and write under that
    path.

    There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
    rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
    phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
    under your /home/user directory).

    You can test whether some directory is suitable for 'make test' under
    'root', by running a simple test. For example to test a directory
    '/private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t', run:

    % "/usr/bin/perl" -Mlib=lib -MApache::TestRun -e 'eval {
    Apache::TestRun::run_root_fs_test(4294967294, 4294967294,
    q[/private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t]) }';

    Only if the test prints 'OK', the directory is suitable to be used for
    testing.
    </output>

    Garry

    gunzip, Apr 20, 2004
  4. gunzip <> wrote in

    > Looking closer at the output, this seemed relevant but I'm still no
    > wiser:

    You can read, can't you?

    You also said:

    > Why is it such a pain in the *** getting Perl to work? And we wonder
    > why web developers have turned in their droves to PHP. This kind of
    > experience is exactly why.

    This issue relates to your lack of knowledge of basic system administration
    skills.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 20, 2004
  5. gunzip

    gunzip Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > You can read, can't you?

    > This issue relates to your lack of knowledge of basic system administration
    > skills.

    Look, shitface, if I wanted a complete idiot to answer my post, I'd have
    asked for one. Go back to your burrow.

    Garry

    gunzip, Apr 20, 2004
  6. gunzip wrote:

    > Looking closer at the output, this seemed relevant

    It's very relevant. It is, in fact, the answer to your question. Have you
    tried doing what the warning message says to do? What happened?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 20, 2004
  7. gunzip

    gunzip Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > gunzip wrote:
    >

    >>Looking closer at the output, this seemed relevant

    > It's very relevant. It is, in fact, the answer to your question. Have you
    > tried doing what the warning message says to do? What happened?
    >
    > sherm--

    It seemed relevant to me at first until I looked at

    /private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t/

    .... and discovered it's permissions to be:

    drwxr-xr-x 9 nobody nobody 306 20 Apr 21:35 t

    Garry

    gunzip, Apr 20, 2004
  8. gunzip

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "gunzip" <> wrote in message
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    > > You can read, can't you?

    > > This issue relates to your lack of knowledge of basic system

    administration
    > > skills.
    > >

    > Look, shitface, if I wanted a complete idiot to answer my post, I'd have
    > asked for one. Go back to your burrow.

    What a mature attitude. Maybe you should put back on the training wheels and
    use PHP. Your contribution here certainly won't be missed.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Apr 21, 2004
  9. gunzip wrote:

    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >
    >> gunzip wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looking closer at the output, this seemed relevant

    >> It's very relevant. It is, in fact, the answer to your question. Have you
    >> tried doing what the warning message says to do? What happened?
    >>
    >> sherm--
    >>

    > It seemed relevant to me at first until I looked at
    >
    > /private/var/root/.cpan/build/Apache-Test-1.10/t/
    >
    > ... and discovered it's permissions to be:
    >
    > drwxr-xr-x 9 nobody nobody 306 20 Apr 21:35 t
    >
    > Garry

    That's nice. Is /private readable by nobody? Is /private/var?
    Is /private/var/root? And so on? If you had bothered to read the error
    message you got, you would have found out that they need to be. That's why
    the suggested courses of action given in the error message don't inlcude
    just checking your permissions, since reworking the permissions of the
    entire directory path is probably not a good idea.

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."