    double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!

    any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

    Santaç
    santaç, Jul 28, 2004

  2. santaç

    SpaceGirl Guest

    santaç wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
    >
    > This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
    > to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
    > the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
    > double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!
    >
    > any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...
    >
    > Santaç

    Google for autoplay.inf - it's really easy to use and you just place it
    in the root of the CD.

    Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
    databases...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 28, 2004

  3. santaç

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 28/7/04 9:26 am, santaç wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
    >
    > This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
    > to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
    > the CD is inserted.

    No guarantees, but try making a plain text file called "autorun.inf"
    containing the following 2 lines, and save it to the CD's root folder.

    [autorun]
    open=index.htm

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Jul 28, 2004
  4. santaç

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:26:59 GMT, "santaç" <> wrote:

    : Hello,
    :
    : A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
    :
    : This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
    : to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
    : the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
    : double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!
    :
    : any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

    The following was posted here a while ago:

    Autorun

    Place a file in the root folder of the CD called Autorun.inf

    This file contains the following:

    [autorun]
    shellexecute=index.html

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jul 28, 2004
  5. santaç

    DaveG Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:19:33 +0200, Sid Ismail wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:26:59 GMT, "santaç" <> wrote:
    >
    > : Hello,
    > :
    > : A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
    > :
    > : This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
    > : to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
    > : the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
    > : double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!
    > :
    > : any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...
    >

    > The following was posted here a while ago:
    >
    > Autorun
    >
    > Place a file in the root folder of the CD called Autorun.inf
    >
    > This file contains the following:
    >
    > [autorun]
    > shellexecute=index.html
    >
    > Sid

    Sids' post is correct, works for me everytime

    Dave
    DaveG, Jul 28, 2004
  6. santaç

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
    > databases...

    There is some software (I don't remember it's name) that allows you to run
    a small server from CD, which makes the above technically possible. The
    other alternative is to use a preprocessor to make a static version to put
    on the CD.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Listening to: Brahms - Intermezzo in B flat minor
    Dylan Parry, Jul 28, 2004
  7. santaç

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >

    >>Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
    >>databases...

    > There is some software (I don't remember it's name) that allows you to run
    > a small server from CD, which makes the above technically possible. The
    > other alternative is to use a preprocessor to make a static version to put
    > on the CD.

    yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
    impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 28, 2004
  8. santaç

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 28, 2004
  9. santaç

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
    > impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

    Well it wouldn't give you an up-to-date image of the site, but I imagine
    that for the purpose of demonstrating it to a client that a snapshot of
    what it might look like would suffice.

    It does seem though that the OP's client is requesting a backup on CD, so
    perhaps the former would be the better option if a working CD copy is
    required and the site does in fact use a DB? Or maybe the client doesn't
    really want a working copy but simply a copy of the pages on CD?

    It's impossible for us to tell :)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Listening to: Jon Anderson - Qoquaq Ën Transic\Naon\Transic Tö
    Dylan Parry, Jul 28, 2004
  10. santaç

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, SpaceGirl says...
    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    > > SpaceGirl wrote:
    > >

    > >>Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
    > >>databases...

    > > There is some software (I don't remember it's name) that allows you to run
    > > a small server from CD, which makes the above technically possible. The
    > > other alternative is to use a preprocessor to make a static version to put
    > > on the CD.
    > >

    > yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
    > impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

    Microweb. It can even run a MySQL database - all from the CD. Of
    course, you can't update the data unless you copy the contents to a
    writable volume.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/
    Hywel, Jul 28, 2004
  11. santaç

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jul 28, 2004
  12. santaç

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:07:33 +0200, DaveG <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > Sids' post is correct, works for me everytime

    As long as the computer is set to use autorun.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 28, 2004
  13. santaç

    Art Sackett Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > As long as the computer is set to use autorun.

    Assuming that it even understands the concept of autorun. :)

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
    Art Sackett, Jul 29, 2004
  14. santaç

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On 29 Jul 2004 06:32:01 GMT, Art Sackett <>
    declared in alt.html:
    > Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >
    >> As long as the computer is set to use autorun.

    > Assuming that it even understands the concept of autorun. :)

    That would be a prerequisite for it to be set to use autorun, yes. :)

    Aside: Does autorun work on Linux? What about Macs? Just curious.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 29, 2004
  15. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:09 +1000, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On 29 Jul 2004 06:32:01 GMT, Art Sackett <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >> Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As long as the computer is set to use autorun.

    >> Assuming that it even understands the concept of autorun. :)

    > That would be a prerequisite for it to be set to use autorun, yes. :)
    >
    > Aside: Does autorun work on Linux? What about Macs? Just curious.

    Linux: depends on the environment. There are packages (gnome's
    'magicdev', for instance) that automatically mount and 'run' CDs. It's
    not part of the OS itself, though.

    --
    Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
    but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who
    Owen Jacobson, Jul 29, 2004
  16. santaç

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:50:02 GMT, Owen Jacobson
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Linux: depends on the environment. There are packages (gnome's
    > 'magicdev', for instance) that automatically mount and 'run' CDs. It's
    > not part of the OS itself, though.

    KDE does the same, but automatically mounting it isn't necessarily the
    same as following the autorun file, which is what I really meant. :)

    Sorry if I wasn't clear.

    Mark Parnell, Jul 30, 2004