burning websites to CD-ROMS

santaç

Hello,

A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.

This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!

any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

Santaç

SpaceGirl

santaç said:
Hello,

A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.

This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!

any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

Santaç

Google for autoplay.inf - it's really easy to use and you just place it
in the root of the CD.

Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
databases...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Philip Ronan

Hello,

A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.

This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
the CD is inserted.

No guarantees, but try making a plain text file called "autorun.inf"
containing the following 2 lines, and save it to the CD's root folder.

[autorun]
open=index.htm

Sid Ismail

: Hello,
:
: A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
:
: This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
: to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
: the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
: double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!
:
: any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

The following was posted here a while ago:

Autorun

Place a file in the root folder of the CD called Autorun.inf

This file contains the following:

[autorun]
shellexecute=index.html

Sid

DaveG

: Hello,
:
: A friend has requested a copy of his website burned to CD.
:
: This should basically be no problem, but I was wondering if it is possible
: to program the "autoplay" function to automatically open "index.htm" when
: the CD is inserted. This person is not too technically advanced, and
: double-clicking on a file may be a challenge!
:
: any advice or links on this would be sincerely appreciated...

The following was posted here a while ago:

Autorun

Place a file in the root folder of the CD called Autorun.inf

This file contains the following:

[autorun]
shellexecute=index.html

Sid

Sids' post is correct, works for me everytime

Dave

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
Also, your site wont work from CD if it uses any server-side code or
databases...

There is some software (I don't remember it's name) that allows you to run
a small server from CD, which makes the above technically possible. The
other alternative is to use a preprocessor to make a static version to put
on the CD.

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

There is some software (I don't remember it's name) that allows you to run
a small server from CD, which makes the above technically possible. The
other alternative is to use a preprocessor to make a static version to put
on the CD.

yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

Well it wouldn't give you an up-to-date image of the site, but I imagine
that for the purpose of demonstrating it to a client that a snapshot of
what it might look like would suffice.

It does seem though that the OP's client is requesting a backup on CD, so
perhaps the former would be the better option if a working CD copy is
required and the site does in fact use a DB? Or maybe the client doesn't
really want a working copy but simply a copy of the pages on CD?

It's impossible for us to tell :)

Hywel

yep! never tried any tho. Also, I'd imagine it would be almost
impossible to preprocess database entries... they could be anything!

Microweb. It can even run a MySQL database - all from the CD. Of
course, you can't update the data unless you copy the contents to a
writable volume.

Mark Parnell

Assuming that it even understands the concept of autorun. :)

That would be a prerequisite for it to be set to use autorun, yes. :)

Aside: Does autorun work on Linux? What about Macs? Just curious.

Owen Jacobson

That would be a prerequisite for it to be set to use autorun, yes. :)

Aside: Does autorun work on Linux? What about Macs? Just curious.

Linux: depends on the environment. There are packages (gnome's
'magicdev', for instance) that automatically mount and 'run' CDs. It's
not part of the OS itself, though.

Mark Parnell

Linux: depends on the environment. There are packages (gnome's
'magicdev', for instance) that automatically mount and 'run' CDs. It's
not part of the OS itself, though.

KDE does the same, but automatically mounting it isn't necessarily the
same as following the autorun file, which is what I really meant. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear.