Button Label change on EVT_BUTTON in wxpython!!!

Ven

Some system info before proceeding further:

Platform: Mac OS X 10.7.1
Python Version: ActiveState Python 2.7.1
wxPython Version: wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7[/
url]

I want the button label to be changed while performing a task

So, here is what I did/want:

self.run_button=wx.Button(self.panel,ID_RUN_BUTTON,label='Install')
self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnRun,id=ID_RUN_BUTTON)

def OnRun(self,evt):
self.run_button.SetLabel('Installing..')
#call a function that does the installation task
installation_task()
#After task completion, set the button label back to "Install"
self.run_button.SetLabel('Install')

When I try doing this, it doesn't set the label to "Installing" while
the task is being performed. Any suggestions how do I achieve this?

Philip Semanchuk

Some system info before proceeding further:

Platform: Mac OS X 10.7.1
Python Version: ActiveState Python 2.7.1
wxPython Version: wxPython2.9-osx-cocoa-py2.7[/
url]

I want the button label to be changed while performing a task

So, here is what I did/want:

self.run_button=wx.Button(self.panel,ID_RUN_BUTTON,label='Install')
self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnRun,id=ID_RUN_BUTTON)

def OnRun(self,evt):
self.run_button.SetLabel('Installing..')
#call a function that does the installation task
installation_task()
#After task completion, set the button label back to "Install"
self.run_button.SetLabel('Install')

When I try doing this, it doesn't set the label to "Installing" while
the task is being performed. Any suggestions how do I achieve this?

Suggestion #1: After you set the label to "Installing...", try adding self.run_button.Refresh() and/or self.run_button.Update().

Suggestion #2: Ask wxPython questions on the wxPython mailing list.

Good luck
Philip

Rob Williscroft

Ven wrote in @x2g2000yql.googlegroups.com in gmane.comp.python.general:
So, here is what I did/want:

self.run_button=wx.Button(self.panel,ID_RUN_BUTTON,label='Install')
self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnRun,id=ID_RUN_BUTTON)

def OnRun(self,evt):
self.run_button.SetLabel('Installing..')
#call a function that does the installation task
installation_task()
#After task completion, set the button label back to "Install"
self.run_button.SetLabel('Install')

When I try doing this, it doesn't set the label to "Installing" while
the task is being performed. Any suggestions how do I achieve this?

http://wiki.wxpython.org/CallAfter

Using this your OnRun will become somthing like:

def OnRun( self, evt ):
def after():
installation_task()
self.run_button.SetLabel('Install')
self.run_button.SetLabel('Installing..')
wx.Callafter( after )

However if installation_task takes a long time you will need to use
threads, something like (untested):

def OnRun( self, evt ):
def after():
self.run_button.SetLabel('Install')
def task():
installation_task()
wx.Callafter( after )

self.run_button.SetLabel('Installing..')

import threading
threading.Thread( target = task ).start()

Rob.