C/C++ compilers recommendations please help

Neil Hindry

I wonder if you can help me.

I am looking at getting back into programming after a break of a number of
years and wonder if anyone knows of a decent free C/C++ compiler that uses a
graphical interface (IDE) rather than text and command line prompts.

Does anyone know of a decent free C/C++ compiler as described above?

If you do not know of a free compiler that has a graphical interface, do you
know of any other sort of decent free C/C++ compilers?

I hope you are able to help.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Thanks

Bob Hairgrove

I wonder if you can help me.

I am looking at getting back into programming after a break of a number of
years and wonder if anyone knows of a decent free C/C++ compiler that uses a
graphical interface (IDE) rather than text and command line prompts.

Does anyone know of a decent free C/C++ compiler as described above?

If you do not know of a free compiler that has a graphical interface, do you
know of any other sort of decent free C/C++ compilers?

I hope you are able to help.

I appreciate any help or information given.

There is Eclipse with the CDT plug-in which you can use as a front end
to various compilers (it doesn't have its own compiler):

http://ww.eclipse.org/cdt

As to compilers, there are:

(1) completey free:
gcc
msvc toolkit
borland command-line

(2) almost free:
digital mars (can be downloaded ... I believe you can order a CD,
which also has its own IDE, for about 30 US-$)
comeau (needs a C compiler as back end, and isn't free, but costs less
than 50 US-$, and is the most ISO/ANSI-compliant C++ compiler
available)

Walter

Neil Hindry said:
I wonder if you can help me.

I am looking at getting back into programming after a break of a number of
years and wonder if anyone knows of a decent free C/C++ compiler that uses a
graphical interface (IDE) rather than text and command line prompts.

Does anyone know of a decent free C/C++ compiler as described above?

If you do not know of a free compiler that has a graphical interface, do you
know of any other sort of decent free C/C++ compilers?

I hope you are able to help.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Sure. The Digital Mars C/C++ compilers are free for the command line tools,
and $29 to add on the IDE.

-Walter
www.digitalmars.com

Mike Tyndall

Some people use Dev-C++; you can download it for free at www.bloodshed.net

It uses a Mingw port of GCC as its compiler. It can also be used in
combination with Cygwin or any other GCC-based compiler, and runs on Windows
95 or better.

//mike tyndall

AlesD

Neil Hindry napsal(a):
I wonder if you can help me.

I am looking at getting back into programming after a break of a number of
years and wonder if anyone knows of a decent free C/C++ compiler that uses a
graphical interface (IDE) rather than text and command line prompts.

Does anyone know of a decent free C/C++ compiler as described above?

If you do not know of a free compiler that has a graphical interface, do you
know of any other sort of decent free C/C++ compilers?

I hope you are able to help.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Thanks

If you are running linux you might have a look at

anjuta.sourceforge.net
www.kdevelop.org

Ales