    PHP2 Guest

    Have some experience with C/C++ programming for EPROM chips? I am newbie in
    that area, any advice will be helpful..

    PHP2, Aug 2, 2004

  2. PHP2

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:19:33 +0200, "PHP2" <> wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > Have some experience with C/C++ programming for EPROM chips? I am newbie in
    > that area, any advice will be helpful..

    Your question is vague, and there is a good chance that it is
    off-topic for this newsgroup. I will try to point out a few
    possibilities.

    Your question could be about how to write a program in C or C++ (two
    different languages, there is no language "C/C++") that will program a
    binary image that you already have into an EPROM chip. If this is
    what you are trying to do, you need an EPROM programmer, and they
    usually come with all the software needed to operate them.

    On the other hand, you could be asking how to write code in C or C++
    that can be placed into an EPROM which in turn can be placed into a
    system with a processor in such a way that the processor will execute
    the code.

    In that case you are pretty much off-topic here as well. The C and
    C++ languages do not specify where executable images come from,
    whether it is from a hard disk drive, a CD, or an EPROM.

    If what you are talking about is the second case, the newsgroup you
    want to post to is news:comp.arch.embedded, where putting code into
    EPROM or flash is something they do everyday. When you post there,
    give them enough information to be able to help you. Tell them what
    sort of processor or microcontroller you are using, and some idea of
    what your code needs to do.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Aug 3, 2004

  3. PHP2

    Carl Muller Guest

    "PHP2" <> wrote in message news:<celigl$vnh$>...
    > Have some experience with C/C++ programming for EPROM chips? I am newbie in
    > that area, any advice will be helpful..

    Use the keyword "const" a lot (e.g. for any data tables that can be
    made const, and for any parameters passed by reference that are not
    altered). Of course, this is good practice in general anyway. An
    untested example:

    const char* const mystrings[] = { "hello", "good-bye" };

    Apart from that, learn how your compiler starts up programs, i.e. what
    happens before main() is called. This is compiler specific (not
    usually on-topic for comp.lang.c++). Note that C++ requires more
    initialisation than C, so look carefully at the examples the
    documentation provides to ensure it includes the correct startup code.

    Carl Muller, Aug 3, 2004
  4. PHP2 wrote:

    > Have some experience with C/C++ programming for EPROM chips? I am newbie in
    > that area, any advice will be helpful..

    As Jack said, see the folks in news:comp.arch.embedded.

    Another possibility is that you want advice about programming
    EEPROM chips. This task requires data sheets from the
    EEPROM manufacturer and details about how to access the
    device on the platform. Both of which are off-topic in
    this newsgroup.

    However, one can use non-portable code to access a device
    {provided your operating system, if there is one, allows
    for it) by using pointers (in memory mapped system).

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt