c++ calling java calling c++ ...

Discussion in 'C++' started by Klaus Friese, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Klaus Friese

    Klaus Friese Guest

    Hi,

    i'm currently working on a plugin for Adobe InDesign and i have some
    problems with that. I'm not really a c++ guru, maybe somebody here has
    an idea how to solve this.

    The plugin is written in C++ and it's calling a java application. This
    application displays a window and pushing a button is calling back the
    c++-plugin again.

    // The plugin class. CActionComponent is part of the InDesign SDK
    class MyJNIComponent : public CActionComponent {
    public:
    static void onCreateDocument();
    private:
    void registerCallbacks();

    // this is called from the java application
    JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_createDocument(JNIEnv *e, jobject o);

    // this is called from Java_createDocument()
    void MyJNIComponent::eek:nCreateDocument() {
    // Here i'm using SDK-methods and functions to create and display a
    document.
    // And here is the problem - i get an assertion from the SDK.
    // The code to create the document is ok, i used this code before
    and i can
    // call this method from inside the plugin without assertion

    // Register Callback from the Java Application back to the Plugin
    void MyJNIComponent::registerCallbacks() {
    jint res;
    JNINativeMethod nm;

    // if this method is called in the java application ..
    CJavaClassInstance layoutSystemToolBox("path/to/my/java/class");
    nm.name="createDocument";
    nm.signature="()V";

    // .. call this function in the plugin
    nm.fnPtr=Java_createDocument;

    res=CJavaVM::env()->RegisterNatives(layoutSystemToolBox.getClassDefinition(),&nm,1);
    if (res!=0) {
    CJavaVM::reportError("Can't find the Java_createDocument
    method.");
    return ;

    // this function is called from java
    JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_createDocument(JNIEnv *e, jobject o){
    CJavaVM::env()->ExceptionClear();
    // calling method in plugin class
    MyJNIComponent::eek:nCreateDocument();
    }

    I think the problem is, that Java_createDocument() is not part of the
    MyJNIComponent class and when i'm calling
    MyJNIComponent::eek:nCreateDocument() from Java_createDocument() some
    variables are not proper initialized.
    And i don't know how to make Java_createDocument() part of the class.
    Or if there is another way to solve this?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Klaus Friese, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Klaus Friese

    benben Guest

    I don't know but have you tried communicating via socket?

    Ben

    benben, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Klaus Friese

    Klaus Friese Guest

    >I don't know but have you tried communicating via socket?
    No. It's an idea but we have to change everything. At the moment the
    java application works standalone and we're using some code and
    dialogs for the plugin and for an extension for QuarkXPress.

    Klaus Friese, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Klaus Friese

    Vijai Kalyan Guest

    comp.lang.c++

    The name implies questions concerning the C++ language. Questions about
    JNI and interaction with C++ should go to Java newsgroup because it
    relates to JNI. Not C++.

    -vijai.

    Vijai Kalyan, Aug 13, 2005
  5. * Klaus Friese <kfriese at dataplan punkt de>:
    > // And here is the problem - i get an assertion from the SDK.
    > // The code to create the document is ok, i used this code before
    > // and i can call this method from inside the plugin without
    > // assertion

    So, the problem is in the code you haven't shown.

    Anyway, the title is probably wrong: it seems your problem is "Java calling
    C++ calling Java", or "Java calling C++ calling some Adobe API".

    I do not think at all that the general area is off-topic, because such
    integration is what C++ is often used for. Many questions in that area
    would most be accepted in [clc++m]. However, it seems that what you have is
    not a problem related to C++ usage in general, or the language, but rather
    it seems to be a bug in your code, which would make the question -- with
    relevant code included! -- more appropriate for e.g. [comp.programming].

    But in general, if you can get rid of the Java part, do that: pure C++.

    And in general, your problem description seems to be to vague to say more.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Klaus Friese

    Klaus Friese Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:11:51 GMT, (Alf P. Steinbach)
    wrote:

    >* Klaus Friese <kfriese at dataplan punkt de>:
    >> // And here is the problem - i get an assertion from the SDK.
    >> // The code to create the document is ok, i used this code before
    >> // and i can call this method from inside the plugin without
    >> // assertion
    >> }

    >So, the problem is in the code you haven't shown.
    >

    >Anyway, the title is probably wrong: it seems your problem is "Java calling
    >C++ calling Java", or "Java calling C++ calling some Adobe API".

    Java calling c++ is the standard way to use JNI, but i have the other
    direction here.
    We have an large application written in java and now we are writing
    c++ code that uses parts of the java application. So people can use
    the main application and they can use InDesign or XPress and they see
    the same windows and dialogs.

    >I do not think at all that the general area is off-topic, because such
    >integration is what C++ is often used for. Many questions in that area
    >would most be accepted in [clc++m].

    I can try it in clc++m tomorrow (i'm writing from my home account at
    the moment). I also tried to find help in the Adobe User Forums, but
    calling Java from the Plugin is not very commom.

    ---
    Mail-Antworten bitte an klaus punkt friese at hamburg punkt de
    Die andere Adresse ist nur ein Spam-Collector.

    Klaus Friese, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Klaus Friese

    Guest

    An easier route would be to use J-Integra for COM. It is a
    bi-directional Java/COM interop bridge which allows C++ to talk to Java
    and vice-versa. It supports callbacks, events, etc. It even has a high
    performance native mode (i.e. JNI) built in. Have a look...

    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/

    Shane Sauer
    J-Integra Interoperability Solutions
    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/
    When Web Services are not enough

    , Aug 15, 2005
  8. On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:38:15 +0200, Klaus Friese <klaus punkte friese
    at hamburg punkt de> wrote:

    >Java calling c++ is the standard way to use JNI, but i have the other
    >direction here.

    No, JNI is both directions, see e.g.
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/html/jniTOC.html
    http://www.haertfelder.com/jni.html
    http://www.jguru.com/faq/topicindex.jsp?topic=JNI

    >We have an large application written in java and now we are writing
    >c++ code that uses parts of the java application. So people can use
    >the main application and they can use InDesign or XPress and they see
    >the same windows and dialogs.

    I've used JNI to call Java from C++ but I wouldn't do it again. The
    JNI C++-to-Java interface is _very_ ugly and clumsy (but not the
    Java-to-C++ interface, guess why). Moreover, a minimal Swing
    application consumes at least 40 MB (up to 80MB or more) and you
    cannot unload Java once it has been loaded with the shared library.
    I'd rather communicate by socket (or COM?) with the Java application
    or use a commercial product. You have been warned!!

    Best wishes,
    Roland Pibinger

    Roland Pibinger, Aug 15, 2005