C++ compiler implementation details

pvinodhkumar

I am reading Lippman's Inside C++ object model.
I feel lonely because the Microsoft C++ compiler which I use does not
provide me an implementation details manual, describing how they
implement vtables in case of single inheritance and multiple
inheritance.

Just to verify what I read is correct I don't have the same from any
other compiler vendors also.

I do not know where CFront's implementation manuals are.
I do not know they are accessible to everyone.

If the underlying implementation is "not sure" and "most likely" how
shall I draw boundaries? And why should I make wrong and likely
assumptions?

Is there any C++ compiler model implementation with source code and
design explanation available?(Model means some model, implementing at
least some version of the standard or pre-standard)

Thanks,
Vinodh

Kai-Uwe Bux

I am reading Lippman's Inside C++ object model.
I feel lonely because the Microsoft C++ compiler which I use does not
provide me an implementation details manual, describing how they
implement vtables in case of single inheritance and multiple
inheritance. [snip]
Is there any C++ compiler model implementation with source code and
design explanation available?(Model means some model, implementing at
least some version of the standard or pre-standard)

Well, there is gcc/g++. I do not know, however, whether there is any
documentation of the internal design accessible to people not already
hacking on the compiler. For further inquiry, you might try a GNU news
group.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Marcus Kwok

I am reading Lippman's Inside C++ object model.
I feel lonely because the Microsoft C++ compiler which I use does not
provide me an implementation details manual, describing how they
implement vtables in case of single inheritance and multiple
inheritance.
[snip]

Is there any C++ compiler model implementation with source code and
design explanation available?(Model means some model, implementing at
least some version of the standard or pre-standard)

I'm not sure about the whole compiler, but this article on CodeProject
has a pretty good description of how vtables and member function
pointers are implemented in many compilers.

Member Function Pointers and the Fastest Possible C++ Delegates
http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/FastDelegate.asp