C container and persistent library ?

Old Wolf

Often, commercial UNIX systems come with no C compiler, so that you
have to pay extra for the compiler licence.

Ian Collins

Old said:
Often, commercial UNIX systems come with no C compiler, so that you
have to pay extra for the compiler licence.
Or in case of the more friendly ones, download it for free.

The bundled compiler was a hangover from the days when the kernel had to
be rebuilt by the user.

Default User

matevzb said:
It does, and it's called "HP-UX bundled C compiler" (it's needed for
kernel recompilation when kernel's parameters change). It's stripped
of all the extras and I'm not even sure it handles ISO properly.

When I was working on HPUX, the compiler not only didn't support ANSI
or ISO C, it would taunt you with that fact.

"Automatic initialization of aggregates is an ANSI feature"

Brian

Beej Jorgensen

Default User said:
When I was working on HPUX, the compiler not only didn't support ANSI
or ISO C, it would taunt you with that fact.

"Automatic initialization of aggregates is an ANSI feature"

Ha! I remember this!

<OT>
The version we used (and I can't remember which HPUX this was... 8?) had
a "-Ae" switch to go to ANSI mode. And then it was too strict, so you
had to define stuff like _XOPEN_SOURCE and _HPUX_SOURCE to get some
unixy functionality back. gcc just made everything better.
</OT>

-Beej

Richard Tobin

The bundled compiler was a hangover from the days when the kernel had to
be rebuilt by the user.

Or the days when the majority of people bought computers with the
intention of writing software for them.

-- Richard

Dave Vandervies

I think there is a strong correlation (among native English
speakers) between correct grammar/spelling, and programming
ability.

I suspect that they're not directly causally linked, though; it seems
more likely that they're both caused by an ability and willingness to
pay attention to little things like correctness, precision, and accuracy.
I suspect that this generalizes quite nicely to "correct grammar/spelling
in one's native language" when you look beyond native English speakers.

Dyslexics, as noted downthread, seem to be an exception to this
correlation, most likely because their poor grammar/spelling is caused by
factors other than carelessness.
I'd also be quite willing to believe that the skills they've developed to
deal with dyslexia would be readily transferrable to computer programming
and similar fields. (The people I've known who I knew were dyslexic have
been universally above average intelligence, though that is a vanishingly
small proportion of the people I've known and probably doesn't include
all the people I've known who were dyslexic.)

dave

--
Dave Vandervies (e-mail address removed)
Void pointers will automatically be converted to the right type when the