c program running 2 terminal windows, how to specify in which to write?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Achraf, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Achraf

    Achraf Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a c program under linux, while running, it opens a new terminal
    windows using a system call. I would like to display messages on both
    windows.
    But I can't find a way to specify the terminal window I want to write
    in.

    The program is for chat and I want to keep a terminal window to write
    incoming messages, and use the other one for operation like sending
    messages or viewing list of nicks in the room....

    To start the new window, i use the command:
    system("gnome-terminal");

    but I really can't see if there is some possible way to write to it,
    all my messages keep arriving in the original window.

    If there is any way you can help me, I will be very thankful,

    Thanks to all of you guys,
    Achraf

    Achraf, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Achraf

    Karthik Guest

    Re: c program running 2 terminal windows, how to specify in whichto write?

    Achraf wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a c program under linux, while running, it opens a new terminal
    > windows using a system call. I would like to display messages on both
    > windows.
    > But I can't find a way to specify the terminal window I want to write
    > in.
    >
    > The program is for chat and I want to keep a terminal window to write
    > incoming messages, and use the other one for operation like sending
    > messages or viewing list of nicks in the room....
    >
    > To start the new window, i use the command:
    > system("gnome-terminal");
    >
    > but I really can't see if there is some possible way to write to it,
    > all my messages keep arriving in the original window.
    >
    > If there is any way you can help me, I will be very thankful,
    >
    > Thanks to all of you guys,
    > Achraf

    There is a topic called IPC , which is out of topic of the current
    newsgroup.
    Check out comp.unix.programmer !

    --
    Karthik
    Humans please 'removeme_' for my real email.

    Karthik, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Achraf

    Grumble Guest

    Achraf wrote:

    > I have a c program under linux, while running, it opens a new
    > terminal windows using a system call. I would like to display
    > messages on both windows. But I can't find a way to specify
    > the terminal window I want to write in.

    Try comp.os.linux.development.apps

    Grumble, Apr 28, 2004