C runtime library for Win32

Iwo Mergler

Paul said:
However, the MinGW documentation says that all programs
compiled with gcc link libgcc.a, which is not public domain
(it is LGPL instead). What exactly does MinGW need libgcc.a
for? What is in libgcc.a?

All the stuff GCC doesn't want to inline at compile time.
Typically floating point emulation, larger-than-int arithmetics,
frame handling, etc.

objdump -T libgcc_s.so gives you the symbol table.

Kind regards,

Iwo

Paul Edwards

Iwo Mergler said:
All the stuff GCC doesn't want to inline at compile time.
Typically floating point emulation, larger-than-int arithmetics,
frame handling, etc.

Ok, looks like I can't do away with that then. I've successfully
tested my CRT by compiling gccmvs 3.2.3 with it, and it produces
identical output to the Cygwin-compiled version, so that gave
it a good exercise. I found one longstanding bug by doing that.
The code has all been checked in to CVS if anyone is interested
in it.

BFN. Paul.