C++ standard library

arnuld

hello,

well, me again. this time i will keep it short. this time i am
just going to purchase C++ books. with advice form folks at
comp.lang.c++ & ACCU.org & i came to the following conclusion, for
the present:

C++ books:

C++ Primer 3/e by LIPPMAN & Lajoie.
STL Tutorial and Reference Guide by David Musser & Atul Saini

STL tutrial and Reference by Josuttis (NOT AVAILABLE in INDIA, so not
going to buy)

(MY experience: LISP only, @ www.gigamonkeys.com/book)

problem: C++ standard Library.

HACKER principle: do not reinvent the wheel. always use what was
already built.

so i am going to follow this principle. i will use what is available in
C++ Standard Library & STL. so which book for C++ Standard Library.
Musser & Saini's book is specifically for STL which is a only part of
Standard Library. what about Standard Library itself. is TC++PL 3/e by
stroustrup is good for that (i mean reading it after 1st 2 books i
mentioned at the beginning)? or something else.

i have already searched the archives & i do not trust reviews of
amazon.com. i wasted a lot money by following amazon's reviews.

-- arnuld

Sumit Rajan

Mike Wahler said:
I don't know if this precludes him purchasing online, as
I'm not familiar with India's laws about international
commerce.

He can buy it online.

The difference is that "foreign" editions can be relatively expensive when
compared to the Indian Editions. For instance, a copy of the Indian Edition
of Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language(Special Edition)" costs
only INR. 650 (approximately 13 USD). Buying the same book online from
Amazon.com can cost approximately 4 times as much.

Regards,
Sumit.

arnuld

How about http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/

hey thanks Ben, i will check if it is available.

I don't know if this precludes him purchasing online, as
I'm not familiar with India's laws about international
commerce.

Mike, there is one thing, i am jobless/businessless, & there is another
thing too. 10 months ago as a beginner programmer i made many mistakes
on judging languages and purchasing books, at that time amazon.com was
my primary source of views/comments on books and i spent all the money
i saved for programming books and nearly 90% of that amount was just
wasted on wrong books. take HTDP (www.htdp.org) it is online too but
reading a book online is very unhealthy for brain ( i discovered it
after i read the same book in hardcopy). i purchased HTDP, SICP , GNU
emacs Manual and 3-4 other books. after 6 months accidently i found
HTDP at an INDIAN store having a tag of 400 INR (indian rupee), i
purchased it from amazon.com at 4000 INR, 10 times expensive and i do
not even read that book, it is disgusting for me (matter of individual
coginitive process) and so are other books. only GNU emacs manual (&
one more thatis Mathematician's Delight) remained useful to this day.

now, i ran out of money, can no longer buy books online. My financial
life has posed limits onto me to purchase only in INDIA. that is why i
said "i can not buy if not available in INDIA".

thanks for your precious time.

-- arnuld

Sumit Rajan

arnuld said:
hey thanks Ben, i will check if it is available.

It is a great book.

However, there is no Indian Edition available for it when I last checked.
Since you are interested only in books for which Indian Editions are
available, I guess you may have to skip this one.

Sumit.

arnuld

C++ Primer 3/e by LIPPMAN & Lajoie.
The fourth edition has been available for more than a year...

hai Andrew,
i am happy to see you here. The author of
excellent.....sorry...... great book "Accelerated C++" answers my
question. well, 1st C++ primer 4/e is not available in INDIA but 3/e is
.. 2nd, your book Accelerated C++ was on the top of my list but
unfortunately it is not available too (here in INDIA).

are you planning to publish "Accelerated C++" in INDIA? - mostly,
good books on programming are published in INDIA by Pearson Education
India or Prentice Hall India. just to give you information.

Can you put it online under -- Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license? -- , so that people like
me who can not get your book can read it (actually, i am asking out of
ignorance).

do you think TC++PL 3/e by Stroustrup is good for learning about C++
Standard Library
after the 2 boks i mentioned at the beginning of this post?. any
advice.

thanks

-- arnuld

benben

arnuld said:
Ben, i tried but unfortunately, this book:
http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/ is not available in INDIA.

You might want to google some online STL tutorials. There seems to be a
great number of them and I am sure some of them are of good quality.
There are equally many and good references too, I usually use the SGI
and GCC ones.
as for JOSUTTIS, There is only one book available in INDIA:

" Object Oriented Programming in C++: A Tutorial for Newcomers"

I haven't read that one so I can't recommend, despite the faith I have
in Josuttis.
thanks

-- arnuld

Regards,
Ben

arnuld

my original questional is still lost, so i restate:

i will use what is available in C++ Standard Library & STL. so which
book for C++ Standard Library?

Musser & Saini's book is specifically for STL which is a only part of
Standard Library. what about Standard Library itself? Is TC++PL 3/e by
Stroustrup is good for that?

i mean can i use Stroustrup for learning Standard Library after doing
C++ Primer? or do i need to do -- 1st, C++ Primer, 2nd STL tutorial &
reference by Musser & Saini -- & then Stroustrup

that is only one one thing i need to know.

thanks

-- arnuld