C++ STL in embedded systems

Alex Vinokur

Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?
In particular:
* Does STL require too much space/memory?
* Is 'implementation of STL algorithms/methods' reenterable/reentrant?
* What is the cost to provide continuity of vectors in memory?
Any other problems?

Victor Bazarov

Alex said:
Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?

I think I am confused by the use of the second 'in' here. Do you mean
'for' or 'on'? If you develop elsewhere and then install your program
to run on an embedded system, that's "for". If you try to compile your
program so that the compiler is running right there, it would be "on"
an embedded system. Which one are you interested in?
In particular:
* Does STL require too much space/memory?

You need to define "too much". However, generally speaking, the library
design is such that the objects do not introduce enormous overhead.

Since most of the Standard library is templatised, the compiler does need
more memory for processing the code that does use templates than code that
does not. So, the difference usually exists during compile-time and not
in run-time.
* Is 'implementation of STL algorithms/methods' reenterable/reentrant?

Generally, probably yes. However, the Standard says that non-reentrancy
is implementation-defined (17.4.4.5). Look in the documentation for your
compiler.
* What is the cost to provide continuity of vectors in memory?

I don't understand the question. Vectors are contiguous. Each vector
object requires some memory for itself and then some overhead exists for
dynamic array allocation. That's essentially the cost.
Any other problems?

I have no answer here, but I am sure others who program for embedded
systems, do.

Mike Wahler

Alex Vinokur said:
Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?

Perhaps. That depends upon the implementation and
the platform (and perhaps other criteria, such as
the nature of your application).
In particular:
* Does STL require too much space/memory?

How much is too much? Also note that each specific
standard library implementation may consume different
amounts of resources.
* Is 'implementation of STL algorithms/methods' reenterable/reentrant?

That depends upon the implementation.
* What is the cost to provide continuity of vectors in memory?

Not sure what you mean my 'continuity'. However, the elements
of a std::vector object are required to be contiguous in memory.
Any other problems?

Perhaps.

-Mike

Alex Vinokur

Victor said:
I think I am confused by the use of the second 'in' here. Do you mean
'for' or 'on'? If you develop elsewhere and then install your program
to run on an embedded system, that's "for".

It should be 'for'.
Thanks.
If you try to compile your
program so that the compiler is running right there, it would be "on"
an embedded system. Which one are you interested in?

You need to define "too much".

I would like to know of experience of people working with STL for
embedded systems.
Are there hard/insoluble problems related to issue?
However, generally speaking, the library
design is such that the objects do not introduce enormous overhead.

Since most of the Standard library is templatised, the compiler does need
more memory for processing the code that does use templates than code that
does not. So, the difference usually exists during compile-time and not
in run-time.

Generally, probably yes. However, the Standard says that non-reentrancy
is implementation-defined (17.4.4.5). Look in the documentation for your
compiler.

I don't understand the question. Vectors are contiguous. Each vector
object requires some memory for itself and then some overhead exists for
dynamic array allocation. That's essentially the cost.

Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for v.size()
== 30000.

P.S. By the way, does similar continuity problem exist for ordinary
array?

[snip]

Alex Vinokur
http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

Victor Bazarov

Alex said:
[...]
Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.

What's v.capacity() ?
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for v.size()
== 30000.

Unknown. Depends on the capacity.
P.S. By the way, does similar continuity problem exist for ordinary
array?

Ordinary array has a fixed size, and no 'push_back' member function, so,
no, such problem does not exist there.

mlimber

Alex said:
Victor said:
Alex Vinokur wrote: [snip]
* Does STL require too much space/memory?

You need to define "too much".

I would like to know of experience of people working with STL for
embedded systems.
Are there hard/insoluble problems related to issue?

Presumably you mean, "Are there hard/insoluble problems related to
[this] issue [i.e., too much memory being required]?"

I have used STL on several different processors on embedded systems,
and I have had no problems related to memory usage that wouldn't have
also been incurred by statically allocated or new/malloc allocated
memory. However, problems related to std::vector certainly could be
incurred on an embedded (or other non-embedded!) system, especially
because of its exponential memory allocation strategy. Some embedded
systems have tighter memory requirements than others, so it will
entirely depend on your requirements. However, see below on how to
mitigate potential memory issues.

[snip]
Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for v.size()
== 30000.

std::vector allocates memory exponentially to "amortize" the growing
cost over time. Consequently, when you do your first push_back, vector
will double its size (i.e., allocate a second buffer of double the
size, copy the existing data into it, and then delete the first
buffer), and when you exceed the new size, it will double it again to
40000. So this will (1) waste memory if the vector doesn't grow any
more beyond that, (2) take up some extra memory while you're doing the
copy, and (3) possibly fragment memory beyond repair.

If you know how big it will grow (or even approximately how big), you
can use std::vector<>::reserve() to set the initial capacity, which
will help minimize copying. If you do not know how big the size will
grow and std::vector's memory allocation scheme doesn't work well for
your system, you should probably not use them.
P.S. By the way, does similar continuity problem exist for ordinary
array?

Yes, and it must be done by hand, which is more error prone. However,
you do then control the memory allocation strategy and could make it
something other than exponential if your system demands it (e.g., add
some predefined amount to the current size, allocate that mem, and then
copy the old into the new; or use some sort of "chunk allocator", where
non-contiguous chunks are tracked by a linked list; etc.).

Cheers! --M

mlimber

mlimber said:
Alex said:
Victor said:
Alex Vinokur wrote:
[snip]
Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for v.size()
== 30000.

std::vector allocates memory exponentially to "amortize" the growing
cost over time. Consequently, when you do your first push_back, vector
will double its size (i.e., allocate a second buffer of double the
size, copy the existing data into it, and then delete the first
buffer), and when you exceed the new size, it will double it again to
40000.
[snip]

Note: This discussion assumed that v.size() == v.capacity().

Cheers! --M

Alex Colvin

Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
You might want to think about exception handling.

for a small system, yes. But if you need the functionality, it's probably
better than writing it yourself.

I ran into trouble some years back with microsoft's VC++ implementation
not being reentrant. <string> reference counts were seeing race
conditions. STLPort seemed to fix the problem. But replacing shared
<string> with (const char*) really helped.

mlimber

Alex said:
You might want to think about exception handling.
[snip]

Good point. On some of my embedded projects, the compiler didn't
support exceptions at all, and so, neither did the STL. Of course, such
an implementation is not fully conformant to the standard, but it was
still very useful. And some parts of the STL don't throw exceptions
anyway (e.g., std::auto_ptr, many algorithms).

Cheers! --M

Alex Colvin

Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?

You might want to think about exception handling. [snip]

Good point. On some of my embedded projects, the compiler didn't
support exceptions at all, and so, neither did the STL. Of course, such
an implementation is not fully conformant to the standard, but it was
still very useful. And some parts of the STL don't throw exceptions
anyway (e.g., std::auto_ptr, many algorithms).

I'm with the Embedded C++ folks <http://www.caravan.net/ec2plus/> on this.
I think that the minimum "contract" for a method call is that it return.
But your needs may differ.

As to conformance, I don't know that I've run across a fully conformant
compiler/runtime yet. As implementations like GCC approach conformance,
their libraries have to keep changing.

The result seems to be that C++ has become unstable. You can't link
against a library unless you're using the same compiler version. It's best
if you have all the libraries in source.

Shezan Baig

Alex said:
Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?
In particular:
* Does STL require too much space/memory?
* Is 'implementation of STL algorithms/methods' reenterable/reentrant?
* What is the cost to provide continuity of vectors in memory?
Any other problems?

One thing to note here, you might not be able to use a particular
standard library implementation, but you can certainly use the STL
concepts. As long as you have some class that models the concepts in
STL, you should be able to use many of the standard library algorithms
without any problems.

I think the major overhead comes from iostreams, locales etc.

Hope this helps,
-shez-

Evan Carew

Alex Vinokur

Victor said:
Alex said:
[...]
Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.

What's v.capacity() ?
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for v.size()
== 30000.

Unknown. Depends on the capacity.

Is the capacity is too big, will 'v' be reallocated/copied?
Ordinary array has a fixed size, and no 'push_back' member function, so,
no, such problem does not exist there.
[snip]

I meant use of 'realloc'.

Alex Vinokur
http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

Victor Bazarov

Alex said:
Victor said:
Alex said:
[...]
Let v be of vector<in> type.
For instance, at the moment v.size() = 10000.

What's v.capacity() ?
Now we do the following thing:
for (int i; i < 20000; i++) v.push_back(i);

Must 'v' be reallocated/copied to provide its continuity for
v.size() == 30000.

Unknown. Depends on the capacity.

Is the capacity is too big, will 'v' be reallocated/copied?

I would rather use the words "large enough" instead of "too big", but
if what you meant was "if the capacity is larger than 30000", then no
reallocation would be necessary.
Ordinary array has a fixed size, and no 'push_back' member function,
so, no, such problem does not exist there.
[snip]

I meant use of 'realloc'.

I don't understand this statement. Use of 'realloc' for what?
'realloc' allocates another object and copies the contents. It is
a _deliberate_ action. There is no automatic growing of arrays.

And, according to the Standard, 'realloc' returns a pointer to
a _new_ object (array), whereas the original one is deallocated.
There is no analogy with 'std::vector' whatsoever. But do look
at an implementation of one.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

In comp.arch.embedded Alex Colvin said:
The result seems to be that C++ has become unstable.

Whaddayamean, "become"? From where I sit, C++ feels like it has been
a moving target ever since its invention. Its defining standards
change faster than the implementations. Each time the implementors
finally seem to be catching up, the goal is moved.

Alex Vinokur

Victor Bazarov wrote:

[snip]
'realloc' allocates another object and copies the contents. It is
a _deliberate_ action. There is no automatic growing of arrays.

And, according to the Standard, 'realloc' returns a pointer to
a _new_ object (array), whereas the original one is deallocated.
There is no analogy with 'std::vector' whatsoever.

How is 'continuity of vectors in memory' provided? Without using
reallocation/deallocation?

Alex said:
How is 'continuity of vectors in memory' provided? Without using
reallocation/deallocation?

"automatically" :)

Seriously though, the way vectors grow is just an implementation detail
- different implementations will do it differently - only the semantics
are consistent across implementations.

In your case, if you *do* care about the way it is implemented, then I
would suggest try to find (if possible) a standard library
implementation that's intended to be used in an embedded system. Or
you also might find more convenient to use a custom allocator if you
have memory constraints (be aware of type incompatibilities though,
with the existing C++ standard). If you have other constraints (apart
from memory constraints) then roll out your own "vector", implemented
with whatever contraints you have.

Hope this helps,
-shez-

mlimber

Alex said:
Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?

You might want to think about exception handling. [snip]

Good point. On some of my embedded projects, the compiler didn't
support exceptions at all, and so, neither did the STL. Of course, such
an implementation is not fully conformant to the standard, but it was
still very useful. And some parts of the STL don't throw exceptions
anyway (e.g., std::auto_ptr, many algorithms).

I'm with the Embedded C++ folks <http://www.caravan.net/ec2plus/> on this.
I think that the minimum "contract" for a method call is that it return.
But your needs may differ.

It depends entirely on the needs of the particular embedded systems.
Some of today's embedded systems use yesterday's desktop processors,
and consequently, they often have more memory available, have compiler
and standard library with relatively good conformance to the C++03
Standard, and are less susceptible to the kind of problems that the OP
was concerned about.

On the other hand, I have successfully used a subset of the STL
(including std::vector) on an embedded system that has stricter
requirements than "high-end" embedded applications. The compiler for
that system doesn't support exceptions or some other C++ features
(yet), but otherwise, it is fairly good as far as conformance.
As to conformance, I don't know that I've run across a fully conformant
compiler/runtime yet.

No fully conformant compiler cum library exists, though some are close
and are available on a wide variety of platforms (GNU, Comeau, etc.).
But things are getting better IMHO, and many of the remaining
non-conformancies are in areas of the Standard that are not as useful
as they first appeared (e.g., the export keyword).

In any case, I write object-oriented C++ code that uses the STL that is
buildable on several different embedded platforms with different
compilers, and I use a commercial lint tool that helps maximize the
portability (as well as check for errors). The bottom line for me is
that, while C++ compilers and libraries are not fully conformant, they
are conformant enough for my needs (and I suspect for many other
programmers' needs).
As implementations like GCC approach conformance,
their libraries have to keep changing.

Can you give an example? The library implementations might be refined
or tweaked behind the scenes, but the interfaces should generally be
stable.
The result seems to be that C++ has become unstable. You can't link
against a library unless you're using the same compiler version. It's best
if you have all the libraries in source.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't think you mean that different
compilers generate different object file formats or that they use
different calling conventions since these problems would apply equally
to any language, but are you referring to the fact that, e.g., a
library function might throw an exception but your compiler doesn't
support exceptions? Please clarify.

Cheers! --M

mlimber

Alex said:
Victor Bazarov wrote:

[snip]
'realloc' allocates another object and copies the contents. It is
a _deliberate_ action. There is no automatic growing of arrays.

And, according to the Standard, 'realloc' returns a pointer to
a _new_ object (array), whereas the original one is deallocated.
There is no analogy with 'std::vector' whatsoever.

How is 'continuity of vectors in memory' provided? Without using
reallocation/deallocation?

std::vector does sometimes use the allocated-copy-destroy mechanism
while it is growing (see my other post for more details). std::realloc
does a similar thing with malloc'ed memory and POD types when the size
passed to std::realloc is larger than the current size. The difference
is that std::vector works on non-POD types as well.

You might be interested in these articles by Andrei Alexandrescu:

http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=7992/cujcexp1908alexandr/alexandr.htm
http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=7990/cujcexp1910alexandr/alexandr.htm
http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=7988/cujcexp1912alexandr/alexandr.htm

They describe generic typed buffers, which are somewhere in between
built-in arrays (which are evil; see the FAQ) and std::vector, which
may not have acceptable performance for certain applications. The third
discusses realloc and growing in gory detail.

Cheers! --M

JustBoo

Are there any restrictions/problems for use of C++ STL in development
in embedded systems?

Hey look what I just found, from their website:

The Dinkum EC++ Library as specified by the Embedded C++ Technical
Committee. (See the Dinkum EC++ Library.) This is far and away the
most widely used EC++ library in the embedded programming community.

http://www.dinkumware.com/libdual_vc.html

Good Luck.

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien