Caching data coming from a Web service

Michael

Hi all,

I have a Web app that calls a Web service to get back some data that very
rarely change, like a lookup table to populate a dropdown.

I'm wondering how best to cache that data. Can CacheDependency help here? My
guess is that it can't, but never know.

Another solution I thought about is:
Make two Web method calls, instead of just one. The first Web method will
just ask the Web service if data has change since a particular datetime. If
it has, then make 2nd Web method call to get the data. If it has not, then
get data from the Cache object.

Any thoughts on that, or other possible solutions? I need to mention that
the data returned by the 2nd Web method is pretty big, so my guess is that
two Web method calls will be cheaper on average than always making the 2nd
Web method call.

Thanks.