CAD graphics with Python: Which lib, pack, tool?

Discussion in 'Python' started by F. GEIGER, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. F. GEIGER

    F. GEIGER Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm dev'ing a control app, that has as a part of it a window showing
    CAD-drawings.

    So I'd like to display drawings coming from DXF files. In the first place
    I'd start displaying rectangles and circles, i.e. simple shapes.
    Nevertheless, the goal is to scan DXF files for the shapes to be displayed.

    PythonCAD comes to my mind. But, alas, yet I did not succeed in installing
    it on my Win2k box - the underlying graphics toolkit is missing DLLs.

    But anyway, as I do not want to develop a full blown CAD program (I "simply"
    want to display, zoom an rotate them), there's probably somthing simpler out
    there for my purposes.

    My app uses Python 2.3.x and wxPython (2nd latest release, upgrade any time
    soon). I dev it on Win2k which will be the first target platform. But I see
    Linux as a target already on the horizon.

    So the lib should run on Win2k, but not prevent me from running on Linux.
    The lib should integrate somehow with wxPython.

    OTH, there are graphic libs 'n' packs out there similar to wxPython (was it
    FOX?). So, if there are many more pros than cons, I'd consider changing from
    wxPython.

    Any hint is welcome.

    Best regards
    Franz GEIGER

    F. GEIGER, Apr 23, 2004

  2. F. GEIGER

    R.Marquez Guest

    "F. GEIGER" <> wrote in message news:<c6ahtq$7ig$>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm dev'ing a control app, that has as a part of it a window showing
    > CAD-drawings.
    >
    > So I'd like to display drawings coming from DXF files. In the first place
    > I'd start displaying rectangles and circles, i.e. simple shapes.
    > Nevertheless, the goal is to scan DXF files for the shapes to be displayed.
    >
    > PythonCAD comes to my mind. But, alas, yet I did not succeed in installing
    > it on my Win2k box - the underlying graphics toolkit is missing DLLs.
    >
    > But anyway, as I do not want to develop a full blown CAD program (I "simply"
    > want to display, zoom an rotate them), there's probably somthing simpler out
    > there for my purposes.
    >
    > My app uses Python 2.3.x and wxPython (2nd latest release, upgrade any time
    > soon). I dev it on Win2k which will be the first target platform. But I see
    > Linux as a target already on the horizon.
    >
    > So the lib should run on Win2k, but not prevent me from running on Linux.
    > The lib should integrate somehow with wxPython.
    >
    > OTH, there are graphic libs 'n' packs out there similar to wxPython (was it
    > FOX?). So, if there are many more pros than cons, I'd consider changing from
    > wxPython.
    >
    > Any hint is welcome.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Franz GEIGER

    I was going to suggest looking into embedding a drawing viewer such as
    Volo View as an ActiveX component, until I realized that you want a
    cross platform solution. You may want to look at QCad which is GPLed
    and cross platform (I think through GTK), but I have no idea what it
    would take to embed it into your app. I wonder if looking at the code
    and/or talking with the developer you could come up with a simple DXF
    reader. (Of course you could study the DXF format on your own as
    well, but I think that is what you are trying to avoid. :)

    -Ruben

    R.Marquez, Apr 23, 2004