calendar help

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Daniel & Kathy Gibson, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Hi!

    I'm a student taking a web authoring class. My teacher has asked us as
    part of an on-going lab to write a 3 page website for a fict. company.
    Everything has to be hand coded. We aren't able to use frames for this
    part of the lab. The first page is the home page, second is a company
    calendar page, and the third is a contact page.

    I have figured out how I'm going to code the first and third page, but
    having difficulty figuring out the calendar page. I have already
    sketched out the layout. There will be a banner at the top, a navigation
    table on the left, a important dates link on the right, and the calendar
    in the middle. The specs are that the links table be no more than 25%. I
    had planned on making the left and right no more than that; probably
    20%. The calendar has to be done as a table. The teacher wants the
    calendar to be placed vertically down the page. I'm guessing that I will
    have to make either 3 columns of 4 tables for each month or 4 columns of
    3 tables. I hope this makes sense!

    Is there any source code or web sites that have something similar that I
    can use as a guide or can someone give me an idea of how to place the
    code so that each month will be set correctly?

    I would appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me.

    Thanks for your help!

    Kathy

    --

    Daniel and Kathy Gibson
    http://www.katestrackshack.com

    Daniel & Kathy Gibson, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Daniel & Kathy Gibson

    CitizenX Guest

    I have several calendars running that have generated tables, you can use
    the source codeif you would like, it will save you loads of hand editing
    time.

    http://jvlapps.nsuok.edu:8080/cal/lab105

    good luck
    N8

    Daniel & Kathy Gibson <> wrote in

    CitizenX, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Daniel & Kathy Gibson

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Daniel & Kathy Gibson <dkgibson3
    @comcast.net> writing in news::

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm a student taking a web authoring class. My teacher has asked us as
    > part of an on-going lab to write a 3 page website for a fict. company.
    > Everything has to be hand coded. We aren't able to use frames for this
    > part of the lab. The first page is the home page, second is a company
    > calendar page, and the third is a contact page.
    >
    > I have figured out how I'm going to code the first and third page, but
    > having difficulty figuring out the calendar page. I have already
    > sketched out the layout. There will be a banner at the top, a navigation
    > table on the left, a important dates link on the right, and the calendar
    > in the middle. The specs are that the links table be no more than 25%. I
    > had planned on making the left and right no more than that; probably
    > 20%. The calendar has to be done as a table. The teacher wants the
    > calendar to be placed vertically down the page. I'm guessing that I will
    > have to make either 3 columns of 4 tables for each month or 4 columns of
    > 3 tables. I hope this makes sense!
    >
    > Is there any source code or web sites that have something similar that I
    > can use as a guide or can someone give me an idea of how to place the
    > code so that each month will be set correctly?
    >
    > I would appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Kathy

    I probably should keep my mouth shut, but I have a funny feeling you are
    using tables for positioning. Your situation would require nesting tables,
    and that's a nightmare. Tables should be used for tabular data, in this
    case, the calendar.

    I put something up that you can look at [URI:
    http://www.arbpen.com/usenet/calendar.htm]. The CSS and HTML both validate,
    tested in IE 6, Opera 7. The document is also WAI compliant.

    View the source of the document carefully. View the document in a text
    browser and see how it differs [URI:
    http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.cgi?
    url=http://www.arbpen.com/usenet/calendar.htm], hint - skip navigation
    link. Also notice that print preview does not display the left navigation.

    Have fun with it. I'm sure your teacher will be impressed with what can be
    accomplished with CSS and valid HTML.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com