    I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
    this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

    Thanks!
    John, Mar 20, 2005

  2. John

    Steven Burn Guest

    I doubt it........ why not just stick with one or the other instead of both?

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Mar 20, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
    MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
    forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
    move to php?

    John, Mar 20, 2005
  4. John

    Steven Burn Guest

    MySQL also works with PHP though....... (neither of which are Microsoft applications, so blaming Microsoft isn't really fair ;o)).

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Mar 20, 2005
  5. > I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get
    > MySQL.

    What? Why can't ASP connect to MySQL?

    http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MyODBC3/MyODBC-3.51.11-1-win.msi/from/pick

    connStr = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};" +
    "SERVER=?;" +
    "DATABASE=?;" +
    "UID=?;" +
    "PASSWORD=?;" +
    "OPTION=3";

    They used to support an OLEDB interface using MyOLEDB, but this has
    disappeared from their web site. :-(

    > MySQL is free!

    Yep, but you often get what you pay for.

    > So, does MS really want me to
    > move to php?

    Maybe, but if you can't see the benefits of using a trusted commercial
    application over an open source job... well...

    --
    Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
    See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 20, 2005
  6. John

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    > MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
    Wrong on both counts. Also, MSDE is free - as in free beer.

    > Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB

    via php
    DUH!

    >(or ASP for that matter)

    Yes.

    >back into ASP?

    WTF does that mean?

    > I hope there is a way to do this.

    There is.

    >Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do this

    Why? Others are doing it for them -
    http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ASP/Using-MyODBC-To-Access-Your-MySQL-Database-Via-ASP/
    Do you think it would be advantageous for Ford to make their cars so Toyota
    parts could be used in them?

    >or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

    Uh, yeah. See above re:Ford parts.

    Instead of being a whiny moron, why don't you do a little research before
    taking your boo-hoo, misinformed rants public?

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Mar 20, 2005
  7. John

    John Guest

    Very professional Bob. Certainly you represent Microsoft, yes? Come on,
    treating me like an idiot only makes you look like one. Do me a favor and
    DON'T ANSWER MY POSTS, ok you miserable bastard? Thanks.

    John, Mar 20, 2005
  8. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:34:37 GMT, "John"
    <> wrote:
    in <N%l%d.146026$>

    >I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
    >MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
    >forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
    >move to php?

    Actually John, to be brutally honest, MS could care less whether you
    move or not. Basically, you represent an invisible dot on their
    massive radar. If you represented several hundred thousand seats
    then perhaps you'd be significant, but realistically you're off the
    end of their chart in terms of significance.

    Therefore, whether or not you move to some other RDBMS or not is
    entirely up to you. In other words, if you feel that the move to
    MySQL is worthwhile then please proceed.

    I'm certain that you're very important wherever you are, but
    unfortunately, unless the size of your organization (please
    translate to equivalent number of seats) is above and beyond their
    thresholds, then you're really nothing more than a nuisance to them.

    Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Mar 20, 2005
  9. > MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

    Yeah, and it only took them 10 years to figure out what stored procedures,
    transactions and foreign keys are. These baseline features in a regular
    RDBMS are in their infancy in your so-called robust choice.

    BTW, MSDE is FREE and only has a few limitations compared to the regular
    version of SQL Server (and 90%+ don't hit any of these limitations). SQL
    Server Express has a very similar story.

    > via php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP?

    I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I sent you a connection string for
    MySQL from ASP earlier, so you connect with that, then conn.execute("sql
    statement").

    Or, if you trust this fandangled new "stored procedure" feature that MySQL
    is the first to offer, you might consider calling stored procedures from ASP
    instead of using ad hoc queries - several advantages to that, as I'm sure
    you're already aware.
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 20, 2005
  10. > Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

    In fact, MSDE (and later SQL Server 2005 Express) is a viable and *FREE*
    alternative to MySQL.

    No PHP knowledge or configuration required in either case, of course.
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 20, 2005
  11. John

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    > Very professional Bob.
    Must be my inate ability to bring myself to the same level as the people I'm
    dealing with. I did provide a useful link. Hopefully, you have the
    intelligence to digest it.

    >Certainly you represent Microsoft, yes?

    Uh, no. I'm able to recognize stupidity without being affiliated with any
    particular company. You would come off as stupid in any context.
    But, if I did represent Microsoft? You would still be stupid.

    >Do me a favor and DON'T ANSWER MY POSTS

    Do me a favor and DON"T POST TO PUBLIC GROUPS.

    If you insist on publicly displaying your stupidity, along with your
    misinformed rants, I guess you had better be prepared to belly up and deal
    with the responses you get.

    PS - Stupidity is not the same as not knowing something. Perhaps, if you
    would have simply asked how to connect to a MySQL DB via ASP, you would
    have received a more amicable response from me.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Mar 21, 2005
  12. John

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    BTW - John

    >Could someone create a basic script to look at so I could see how?
    Sure. Just pony up the usual hourly rate, and I'm sure someone will be more
    than happy to help.
    I suppose you would like it emailed to you too, instead of posting in the
    group?

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Mar 21, 2005
  13. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:57:36 -0500, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
    <> wrote:
    in <BE637820.40D8%>

    >> Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

    >In fact, MSDE (and later SQL Server 2005 Express) is a viable and *FREE*
    >alternative to MySQL.
    >
    >No PHP knowledge or configuration required in either case, of course.

    LOL. Sorry for the lapse in judgment, but I just couldn't resist.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Mar 21, 2005
  14. John

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:25:31 GMT, "John"
    <> wrote:

    >First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is also
    >"expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

    Not quite, but close.

    >Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB via
    >php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
    >script to look at so I could see how?

    Why would you want to? Use ASP and MySQL if you're dead set on MySQL.
    It works fine.

    If you really must do this, retrieve the data in PHP, write it to a
    text file, read that file into your ASP. There's no practical method
    to intermix PHP and ASP, they don't share sessions. You could pass
    the data on the URL, but I suspect that would get rather ugly and
    there's a finite length you can use anyway.

    >I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
    >this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

    Not sure why you think this. Asp and ASP.NET already can use *any*
    OLEDB or ODBC source as well as XML. There's no reason to access
    another programming language to handle your task, and any attempt to
    do so makes things really confusing and hard to maintain.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Mar 21, 2005