Call php/mysql database from ASP

John

First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is also
"expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB via
php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
script to look at so I could see how?

I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

Thanks!

John

I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
move to php?

I doubt it........ why not just stick with one or the other instead of both?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Steven Burn

MySQL also works with PHP though....... (neither of which are Microsoft applications, so blaming Microsoft isn't really fair ;o)).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get

What? Why can't ASP connect to MySQL?

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MyODBC3/MyODBC-3.51.11-1-win.msi/from/pick

connStr = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};" +
"SERVER=?;" +
"DATABASE=?;" +
"UID=?;" +
"PASSWORD=?;" +
"OPTION=3";

They used to support an OLEDB interface using MyOLEDB, but this has
disappeared from their web site. :-(
MySQL is free!

Yep, but you often get what you pay for.
So, does MS really want me to
move to php?

Maybe, but if you can't see the benefits of using a trusted commercial
application over an open source job... well...

Bob Lehmann

MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.
Wrong on both counts. Also, MSDE is free - as in free beer.
Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB
via php
DUH!
(or ASP for that matter) Yes.

back into ASP?
WTF does that mean?
I hope there is a way to do this.
There is.
Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do this
Why? Others are doing it for them -
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/ASP/Using-MyODBC-To-Access-Your-MySQL-Database-Via-ASP/
Do you think it would be advantageous for Ford to make their cars so Toyota
parts could be used in them?
or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?
Uh, yeah. See above re:Ford parts.

Instead of being a whiny moron, why don't you do a little research before
taking your boo-hoo, misinformed rants public?

Bob Lehmann

John

Very professional Bob. Certainly you represent Microsoft, yes? Come on,
treating me like an idiot only makes you look like one. Do me a favor and
DON'T ANSWER MY POSTS, ok you miserable bastard? Thanks.

Stefan Berglund

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:34:37 GMT, "John"
in said:
I've never done much with php and it means learning all that just to get to
MySQL. Man, what a pain. SQL server ain't cheap and the little guy gets
forced out and that sucks. MySQL is free! So, does MS really want me to
move to php?

Actually John, to be brutally honest, MS could care less whether you
move or not. Basically, you represent an invisible dot on their
massive radar. If you represented several hundred thousand seats
then perhaps you'd be significant, but realistically you're off the
end of their chart in terms of significance.

Therefore, whether or not you move to some other RDBMS or not is
entirely up to you. In other words, if you feel that the move to
MySQL is worthwhile then please proceed.

I'm certain that you're very important wherever you are, but
unfortunately, unless the size of your organization (please
translate to equivalent number of seats) is above and beyond their
thresholds, then you're really nothing more than a nuisance to them.

Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

Yeah, and it only took them 10 years to figure out what stored procedures,
transactions and foreign keys are. These baseline features in a regular
RDBMS are in their infancy in your so-called robust choice.

BTW, MSDE is FREE and only has a few limitations compared to the regular
version of SQL Server (and 90%+ don't hit any of these limitations). SQL
Server Express has a very similar story.
via php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I sent you a connection string for
MySQL from ASP earlier, so you connect with that, then conn.execute("sql
statement").

Or, if you trust this fandangled new "stored procedure" feature that MySQL
is the first to offer, you might consider calling stored procedures from ASP
instead of using ad hoc queries - several advantages to that, as I'm sure
you're already aware.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Oh and BTW, MySQL compares rather poorly to MSSQL.

In fact, MSDE (and later SQL Server 2005 Express) is a viable and *FREE*
alternative to MySQL.

No PHP knowledge or configuration required in either case, of course.

Bob Lehmann

Very professional Bob.
Must be my inate ability to bring myself to the same level as the people I'm
dealing with. I did provide a useful link. Hopefully, you have the
intelligence to digest it.
Certainly you represent Microsoft, yes?
Uh, no. I'm able to recognize stupidity without being affiliated with any
particular company. You would come off as stupid in any context.
But, if I did represent Microsoft? You would still be stupid.
Do me a favor and DON'T ANSWER MY POSTS
Do me a favor and DON"T POST TO PUBLIC GROUPS.

If you insist on publicly displaying your stupidity, along with your
misinformed rants, I guess you had better be prepared to belly up and deal
with the responses you get.

PS - Stupidity is not the same as not knowing something. Perhaps, if you
would have simply asked how to connect to a MySQL DB via ASP, you would
have received a more amicable response from me.

Bob Lehmann

Bob Lehmann

Could someone create a basic script to look at so I could see how?
Sure. Just pony up the usual hourly rate, and I'm sure someone will be more
than happy to help.
I suppose you would like it emailed to you too, instead of posting in the
group?

Bob Lehmann

Stefan Berglund

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:57:36 -0500, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
in said:
In fact, MSDE (and later SQL Server 2005 Express) is a viable and *FREE*
alternative to MySQL.

No PHP knowledge or configuration required in either case, of course.

LOL. Sorry for the lapse in judgment, but I just couldn't resist.

Jeff Cochran

First I'll answer "why". Because, while SQL Server is available, it is also
"expensive". MySQL is CHEAP and a lot more robust than Access.

Not quite, but close.
Is there a way to add, update, retrieve, and delete data from a MySQL DB via
php (or ASP for that matter) back into ASP? Could someone create a basic
script to look at so I could see how?

Why would you want to? Use ASP and MySQL if you're dead set on MySQL.
It works fine.

If you really must do this, retrieve the data in PHP, write it to a
text file, read that file into your ASP. There's no practical method
to intermix PHP and ASP, they don't share sessions. You could pass
the data on the URL, but I suspect that would get rather ugly and
there's a finite length you can use anyway.
I hope there is a way to do this. Wouldn't it be advantageous for MS to do
this or to make it easy to do so to be more competitive?

Not sure why you think this. Asp and ASP.NET already can use *any*
OLEDB or ODBC source as well as XML. There's no reason to access
another programming language to handle your task, and any attempt to
do so makes things really confusing and hard to maintain.

Jeff