callback pointing to a different function

christophe.verne

Hi all,
It's the first time I'm using groups so i hope I am posting on the good
group.

I''m not familiar with callback and function pointer and here is what
I'd like to do:

typedef struct Control{
TYPE Type;
unsigned int x;
unsigned int y;
unsigned int width;
unsigned int height;
void *callback;
};

with callback a pointer to a function. Control will be used in 2 cases,
and depending on the case, it will call one function or the other. As
the arguments are not the same, how can I declare it? I was thinking of
doing the following:
typedef (* case1) (int arg1, int arg2, float arg3);
typedef (* case2 )(int arg1, float arg2, char arg3);

Control panel;
Control menu;
new_(panel, PANEL_TYPE)
new_(menu,MENU_TYPE)
where new_ initialize panel and menu, making the callback pointing to
the good function...

In one case, I would call (case1) (panel.callback)(int1,int2,float3);
in the other case, I would call (case2)(menu.callback)(int1, float2,
char3)

Is this could work, or I have not understood how it works :( . I've
been looking for a tutorial on callbacks, but I haven't found something
for my problem, where a callback could be assigned to 2 differents
functions with differents arguments.

Thanks for the help.
ctitof

bert

[...]

The argument lists would be the same if the logical arguments were
packed into a single structure, but different for each function, and
their actual argument was a void pointer which each function cast
to the appropriate type of struct pointer. But the possibilities of
mistakes in use are then greater.

Flash Gordon

Hi all,
It's the first time I'm using groups so i hope I am posting on the good
group.

I''m not familiar with callback and function pointer and here is what
I'd like to do:

typedef struct Control{
TYPE Type;
unsigned int x;
unsigned int y;
unsigned int width;
unsigned int height;
void *callback;
};

with callback a pointer to a function.

void* is not suitable for storing a function pointer.
> Control will be used in 2 cases,
and depending on the case, it will call one function or the other. As
the arguments are not the same, how can I declare it? I was thinking of
doing the following:
typedef (* case1) (int arg1, int arg2, float arg3);
typedef (* case2 )(int arg1, float arg2, char arg3);

You have not specified what return type these functions have.

<snip>

Use one function pointer type in the struct, and cast it to the correct
function pointer type before calling it. E.g.

typedef void (dummy_func_type)(void)

typedef struct Control{
TYPE Type;
unsigned int x;
unsigned int y;
unsigned int width;
unsigned int height;
dummy_func_type *callback;
};

typedef void (case1_func_type)(int arg1, int arg2, float arg3);
typedef void (case2_func_type)(int arg1, float arg2, char arg3);

switch (foo.Type) {
case 1: ((case1_func_type*)foo.callback)(i1,i2,f);
break;
case 2: ((case2_func_type*)foo.callback)(i,f,c);
break;

and so on.

Note that I have defined a type for the function, not a pointer to a
function. I find this clearer.