Can´t get AD groups to authenticate via web.config

John Boghossian

We are trying to limit access for an intranet application to certain people
based on AD groups they belong to.

When we add a key to <allow roles="domain\group" /> it doesn´t work but it
works with explicit users as <allow user="domain\loginid" />

Extract from our web.config
<identity impersonate="true" />
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow users="domain\user" roles="domain\group" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>

Anyone that knows what could be wrong?

Regards
John Boghossian

MSFT

Hi John,

In web.config, The machine name or domain name AND the group name are case
sensitive. The group name MUST match case EXACTLY as it is in Windows. You
may double check if it is the problem.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security