Can Anyone Explain This Memory Leak?

gwtmp01

At least on Linux, the allocation pattern used by these scripts
never causes
the heap implementation to get system memory via m/unmap() (as you
can see
visually in my graphs by how the amount ruby allocates using malloc
() never
goes beyond the size of the heap, even during peak allocation
periods).

Right, so brk/sbrk, but in the environment you are testing, the
process never
actually gives memory back to the kernel. So even if the memory
isn't used
(i.e. it isn't part of the working set of the process), from the
point of view
of the kernel it is allocated to the process and so occupies various
tables and
swap/paging space within the kernel.

Gary Wright