    anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
    form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
    is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

    markscottwright, Sep 19, 2005

  2. markscottwright wrote:
    > I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
    > anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book

    It's all in the JVM spec.

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#79868

    > form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
    > is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

    Not as far as I know. Editors tend to do that sort of thing without full
    compilation. I'm sure it'd be quite easy to do from class files with,
    say, ObjectWeb ASM.

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/

    Thomas Hawtin, Sep 19, 2005

  3. markscottwright

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 18 Sep 2005 16:16:22 -0700, "markscottwright"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
    >anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
    >form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
    >is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

    check out JPDA. It in an interface for people want to write source
    code debuggers.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 19, 2005