    well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
    UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
    solution to solve it?
    Zhi, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Zhi wrote:

    > Hi, I am using the UART with 8 bits data width transmission very
    > well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
    > UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
    > solution to solve it?

    No doubt, but you give insufficient data for your problem.

    I'm assuming you're using a soft-core UART written in VHDL, given the
    newsgroup? I'm also assuming the microprocessor interface is the '16 bits
    data width' you're talking about?

    Usually it's perfectly adequate to connect an 8-bit peripheral to a 16-bit
    bus and simply leave half the bus dangling... you just need to note the
    register addressing implications (if any).

    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
    Mark McDougall, Oct 9, 2007

  3. Zhi wrote:
    > Hi, I am using the UART with 8 bits data width transmission very
    > well. But the problem is if my application which is connected to the
    > UART is 16 bits data width instead of 8 bits width. Is there any
    > solution to solve it?

    Search for
    char_len_g
    in the reference design here