can distutils windows installer invoke another distutils windows installer

Discussion in 'Python' started by timw.google, May 10, 2006.

  1. timw.google

    timw.google Guest

    Hi all.

    I have a package that uses other packages. I created a setup.py to use
    'try:' and import to check if some required packages are installed. I
    have the tarballs and corresponding windows installers in my sdist
    distribution, so if I untar my source distribution and do 'python
    setup.py install', the script either untars the subpackages to a tmp
    directory and does an os.system('python setup.py install') (Linux), or
    os.system(<bdist_wininst installer>) (win32) for the missing
    subpackage.

    This seems to work fine, except that on Windows, I can't uninstall the
    main package with Windows 'Add or Remove Programs' from the control
    panel. If I install my main package with a bdist_winst installer, I
    can.

    Is there a way to set up a bdist_wininst installer to do what I can do
    with the source dist?

    Thanks in advance,

    ----
    Tim Williams

    timw.google, May 10, 2006

  2. timw.google

    Serge Orlov Guest

    timw.google wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have a package that uses other packages. I created a setup.py to use
    > 'try:' and import to check if some required packages are installed. I
    > have the tarballs and corresponding windows installers in my sdist
    > distribution, so if I untar my source distribution and do 'python
    > setup.py install', the script either untars the subpackages to a tmp
    > directory and does an os.system('python setup.py install') (Linux), or
    > os.system(<bdist_wininst installer>) (win32) for the missing
    > subpackage.

    I believe there are two ways to handle dependances: either you bundle
    your dependances with your package (they just live in a directory
    inside your package, you don't install them) or you leave resolution of
    dependances to the application that uses your package. Handling
    dependances like you do it (package installs other packages) doesn't
    seem like a good idea to me.

    Serge Orlov, May 11, 2006