Can I access global assembly cache on user machine with asp.net?

budhA

Hi,

Is it possible to access global assembly cache on user's machine from
asp.net web page.
The user will download assembly, wich will be installed in gac.When he opens
the web page I need to add control from that assembly to a page.
I can host win control in web form but it must be on server and that's not
it.
Pleas help

budhA

Kevin Spencer

I don't know where to start. First, I'd love to know how you plan to install
a .Net DLL into the user's GAC from a web page, without any executable on
the client (other than a browser, which certainly WON'T do it). Secondly,
I'd love to see how an HTML document (which is what an ASPX page is on the
client) is going to load an assembly.

I think it's time to step back and take a look at your requirements, as this
solution is NOT going to work. Perhaps if you explain your business
requirements, we can suggest some workable solutions. IOW, what
service/functionality is this app supposed to provide for your user?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

budhA

O.K.
We have an app that represents the map of a city. User can find a street,
find a path between 2 spots, etc.
We want to download that app to the user and when he loads our page in his
web browser app shuld load from user's machine and should be located inside
web form. The idea is to load app(class) into web form via object
tag(hosting a conctrol in web form). I have to reference that class(.dll)
with classid (for example classid =
"http://loacalhost/WebApp/class.dll#class.MyClass).
Since that .dll file shoud be on user's machine I don't know how to access
it with classid.

Hope U understood.
btw thnx for helping me.

Kevin Spencer

Ok, that's a little more to go on, thanks.

Your best bet is NOT to have the browser download anything. If it does,
you're looking at hosting a .Net Windows form in a browser. However, if you
look at the various mapping services out there (MapPoint and MapQuest come
to mind), you'll notice that neither requires any software other than a
browser. It's really not necessary to put a thick client on the client
machine. You might want to try it their way.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

budhA

Your best bet is NOT to have the browser download anything. If it does,
you're looking at hosting a .Net Windows form in a browser.

But taht's the way it has to be :(
We would like to have (host) an application (.Net Windows Form) on the
client
machine so he wouldn't have to download it each time he opens teh page.
That's the idea.

Kevin Spencer

And where is this Windows Form supposed to get all of that mapping data?
You're talking about a multi-gigabyte download there. Have you ever seen the
installation CDs for MapPoint? There are 2 of them, and they both contain
compressed data. Might have something to so with why these online mapping
apps don't have a thick client...

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

budhA

And where is this Windows Form supposed to get all of that mapping data?

Mapping dada would be on a server

But the question was can I do that and how?

Thnx.

Guest

While it is possible to do this, a better question is should you do this.
No, you shouldn't. This will most likely require a lot of hacks and ugly,
ugly code. Not to mention some potentialy serious security holes that will
probably be opened doing things this way. Also, any user who understands and
cares about security will probably not want to install the activex control
needed and you will drive them to a competitor's product.

Kevin Spencer

Okay, your data is on a server. Why then do you need a thick client?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

miro

Okay, your data is on a server. Why then do you need a thick client?

The app on user's machine would process the data from the server and draw
map.
Data from the server would be about 30 kB at most each time user zooms or do
something else what would request drawing of a map(or a part of it).
That way communication betwen user and a server would be minimal(concidering
data amount send from server).